Newspaper Story About Lucky Beach Detectorists..

What they don't know won't hurt them. 😀

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

What they don't know won't hurt them. 😀

Another story?

It does seem that people do well with coins on the beach, my experience is slightly different, seeing other peoples finds I don't do anywhere near as well. This may be due to location I detect in, Hobart, not known for beach weather. The other thing I have noticed is the large proportion of pre decimals that I find i.e. pre 1966, 25% of my finds are pre decimal, and all of my finds are proportional to the value, that is I find more lower value than higher value. Some sites I detect do have a large percentage of post decimal coins, while others like Sandy Bay beach near the city, have at least 75% pre decimal, what's going on ? I don't do enough beach hunting to say for sure but a pattern is emerging, some sites are throwing up a disproportionate amount of early coins, despite the fact that they are still well used in modern times, probably more so. Is that plastic card we all carry responsible ?  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blackjack said:

It does seem that people do well with coins on the beach, my experience is slightly different, seeing other peoples finds I don't do anywhere near as well. This may be due to location I detect in, Hobart, not known for beach weather. The other thing I have noticed is the large proportion of pre decimals that I find i.e. pre 1966, 25% of my finds are pre decimal, and all of my finds are proportional to the value, that is I find more lower value than higher value. Some sites I detect do have a large percentage of post decimal coins, while others like Sandy Bay beach near the city, have at least 75% pre decimal, what's going on ? I don't do enough beach hunting to say for sure but a pattern is emerging, some sites are throwing up a disproportionate amount of early coins, despite the fact that they are still well used in modern times, probably more so. Is that plastic card we all carry responsible ?  

You make a really good point, I’ve very rarely used coins for at least two years now, because of Covid but probably more so due to the convenience of using cards these days.  I’m sure there would be a trend if one kept track of all the coins found in circulation or in the ground showing this.

• Like 4

For the past couple of years I have never found any coins at the beaches near the oceans and most of my work is in the Gulf of Mexico.

I just wonder what might happen if I would take one of my detectors with me.

With my track record as it is I would probably still not find anything, so I guess I will leave them at home when I am there working.

• Haha 2

It looks like a new detector will be on the market soon and the hype has to get them interested in the new detector that can get a Threepence at 2 feet (60 cm.) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

For the past couple of years I have never found any coins at the beaches near the oceans

The beaches I hunt in Mexico are full of coins. Most are modern day but do pull an older one on occasion. Luckily, all the coins are ferrous except for the ten and twenty peso coin so I am able to stay away from digging the small denomination coins.  

When I was digging everything, I would get $300-$400 usd equivalent in just 3-4 months of detecting. 

• Like 3