Beach Hunters In The Corpus Christy Area

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and also have a request to help a veteran. A friend of mine, a veteran, is in the Corpus Christy area of Texas and we have discussed the prospect of beach detecting for him, he said he would like to give it a try. Since I am unable to assist him personally I thought I would see if there is anyone in that area who would be willing to take him out and show him the ropes. If anyone is interested in giving my friend an opportunity please send me a message through this site and I will forward any information to my friend. Thanks for your interest. Jeff

• Like 4

Don't try to detect on the National Seashore area on Padre Island. Big No! No!

A treasure ship was recovered in 1969 just off the Gulf beach and the feds made the area off limits in 1972.

• Like 1

snakejim 

Before 69 a treasure company got ran off in 67 by the state of Texas and everything they had was taken from them. It’s three ships along that area . I believe it was 68 that area was made a National Sea Shore by Texas . It was first found out about the ships along the coast when they made the cut at Mansfield called Mansfield cut they dug through it cutting that channel to the Gulf side.

I was there while all of this was going on. I was there from 66 to the end of 69 and by then it was all history. Maybe 🤔 

The treasure ships are two miles above that cut I was talking about. 
 Some years ago I was detecting in another town and this guy came up to me and started talking about me hunting there. When I looked up the first thing I saw was this beautiful pillar dollar hanging around his neck. As soon as I said something about it he backed off that’s until I started talking about it that I knew where it came from and what I knew about the ships.He admitted where it came from and because of that I didn’t ask are want to know his name. I never seen that guy again but just guessing he had to live in that town and it too had a long history it’s self.

I have maps showing where the treasure ships are located but a lot of good it will do you.

I came across this old boy that had a bait stand on the island and he had a handful of quarter dollars. How he found them was walking behind the dunes. The wind would blow the sand out around them leaving them sitting on top like a little toad stool . Back in their day they cut a dollar coin to make change and then you had a quarter dollar if you cut it to make 4.

Chuck 

• Like 2

Return Padre Island treasure or else
Some time ago, a judge in Kingsville ordered State Land Commissioner Sandler to pack up all that Spanish treasure recovered off Padre Island and turn it over to the University  of  Texas  for  restoration and safekeeping.
But the judge, Paul Martineau, learned last week that Sadler still has part of the treasure in his offices. Today, he gave Sadler until tomorrow night to get rid of it. (Editor’s Note: This was originally broadcasted by WBAP-TV/NBC station in Fort Worth on Oct. 20, 1969.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

snakejim 

Before 69 a treasure company got ran off in 67 by the state of Texas and everything they had was taken from them. It’s three ships along that area . I believe it was 68 that area was made a National Sea Shore by Texas . It was first found out about the ships along the coast when they made the cut at Mansfield called Mansfield cut they dug through it cutting that channel to the Gulf side.

I was there while all of this was going on. I was there from 66 to the end of 69 and by then it was all history. Maybe 🤔 

The treasure ships are two miles above that cut I was talking about. 
 Some years ago I was detecting in another town and this guy came up to me and started talking about me hunting there. When I looked up the first thing I saw was this beautiful pillar dollar hanging around his neck. As soon as I said something about it he backed off that’s until I started talking about it that I knew where it came from and what I knew about the ships.He admitted where it came from and because of that I didn’t ask are want to know his name. I never seen that guy again but just guessing he had to live in that town and it too had a long history it’s self.

I have maps showing where the treasure ships are located but a lot of good it will do you.

I came across this old boy that had a bait stand on the island and he had a handful of quarter dollars. How he found them was walking behind the dunes. The wind would blow the sand out around them leaving them sitting on top like a little toad stool . Back in their day they cut a dollar coin to make change and then you had a quarter dollar if you cut it to make 4.

Chuck 

Chuck,

I guess I got the dates wrong. I remember the salvage people were "Platoro Ltd"., from the Great Lakes area.  I was in Corpus in 1965, and knew one the ship location because a friend of mine's Dad surf fished and found the silver Spanish coins on the beach and in the surf. Being a kid of 19, I couldn't get the gear to dive on them. I left Corpus in 1967.  It took years for the courts to decide who got what, and I think a lot was lost while under protection of The University of Texas.

Jim

• Like 1

The Corpus paper called the caller times was posting on that all the time being it was the hottest thing going at the time. 
 The date when are what was made don’t make much difference anymore being it’s all history now.

The truth being is to keep your butt of state parks and National Sea Shore in Texas with a detector.Why would it hurt you ask will they willing to take your money but don’t take none of theirs .haha  

The state had people working the sites and I can assure you that they didn’t get it all. A really good storm could bring up a lot for a beach stroller looking real good as you stroll along.

If you ever down Corpus way they have a museum that you can see what can up. I have copies of X-rays showing some of things found in crusted. That alone is interesting.

Chuck 

• Like 2

History says that Mrs Johnson dedicated it on April 8 1968 as a National Sea Shore.

I may not always be right but at the same time I don’t remember when I was wrong.hahaha  

The Best Good People!

Chuck 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

History says that Mrs Johnson dedicated it on April 8 1968 as a National Sea Shore.

I may not always be right but at the same time I don’t remember when I was wrong.hahaha  

The Best Good People!

Chuck 

Chuck, I resemble that also! Best wishes to all! snakejim

• Like 1