Give Me The Multi Kruzer Anytime

It really has great target separation (meter) when looking for silver in an old ball field loaded with screw caps. The right coil (Round) at 5 kHz, 4 tones is a Beast!

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, it would be helpful to know in you experience if there are on the market coils with better peformance for specific applications (e.g park, field, nuggets...)

Multi Kruzer and Kruzer really shine with 3 tone mode, 89 gain and 5x9.5 coil. Does have increidble separation. Stock coil is ok in moderate/low trash but sensitive to EMI. Depth between the 2 isn't all that significant. I use the smaller coil for fresh water beach hunting for small jewlery.

I'll try 5khz next time out, usually use 14 or 19 unless iron is too much.

• Like 2

Thanks KAC for your very interesting reply.

Smaller coils are expected to give better target separation, at the cost of depth; what is your experience in regard of this aspect (depth loss) ? I ask this because the Nokta Makro 5"x9.5" coil you used, is reported on Nokta Makro catalog as providing good depth.

Regarding the usage of different coils,  I had the opportunity to use the Mars Discovery (13") coil with my MMK: it got about 2" more depth for coin sized targets, in my soil (quite mild one). I would like to perform also a target separation comparison with respect to the standard coil, because it can be adversely affected by the usage of bigger coils. 

I wonder if a "standard setup" for target separation test has ever been defined; if so, separation test results could be comparable between different machines, coils etc.

Is anybody aware of a "standard" separation test setup ? Any info would be appreciated...

This seems to be a standard test from Calabash.

The Legend with 6" coil passes this test using Pitch, Iron Filter 1, Stability 4 and Tone Break 8.

Test.jpg

Awe, ok. I understand that.

• The title was changed to Give Me The Multi Kruzer Anytime

The best standard I've seen is Monte Berry's Nail Board Performance Test.  He recommends either USA Indian Head Cents or zinc cents -- those have similar VDI's.  He also recommends modern steel nails.  Some people think changing the nails to square is more meaningful.  Well, that's OK for testing but it's no longer a standard.

One 'gotcha' if you print off the last page of document linked above is your printer screwing up the aspect ratio.  I was fortunate to get one directly from Monte (he makes up kits with nails include) so can say that the distance between the numeral 1's at the end of the horizontal line is 26 cm (10 1/4") so make sure you get that.

The purpose of a standard is as you say, so that comparisons can be made from long distance.  But no separation test tells all about separation, not even close.  If people get enamored with one test and conclude detector A with coil B and settings C is the best at separation based on one (or several) tests, well, they're fooling themselves and all too often, others.  Mother nature throws more kinds of pitches at us than we could ever build tests for.

• Like 2