Minelab Equinox 900, Is It Worth The Upgrade Over The Equinox 800? Long Read

abenson

• The title was changed to Minelab Equinox 900, Is It Worth The Upgrade Over The Equinox 800? Long Read

Nice write up abenson....so I understand the lower shaft is different the the nox 800. I got in the habit finally of mating my coils with their own shaft on the 800 as it makes switching coils easier.  Are there lower shafts available yet for the 900? Sounds like the physical changes alone are enough to switch out the 800 for the 900 eventually. 

strick 

• Like 3

Thx for the detailed write up. I too like many others I would think have been wondering if there is any benefit to upgrading from the 800. Hopefully as time goes by more people will add their findings and opinions to your post. Interesting times.

• Like 1

Very enjoyable read.  Thanks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strick said:

Nice write up abenson....so I understand the lower shaft is different the the nox 800. I got in the habit finally of mating my coils with their own shaft on the 800 as it makes switching coils easier.  Are there lower shafts available yet for the 900? Sounds like the physical changes alone are enough to switch out the 800 for the 900 eventually. 

strick 

Yes the lower shaft is different. I haven't heard about lower shafts being available yet.

• Thanks 1

Nice write up! 👍 I was thinking of grabbing one for myself, and was kind of sad that Chase had a problem with his, I was looking forward to seeing it. 😓 

Certainly if I feel a need for a new machine I'll be looking at this one, you make some very convincing points. 

• Like 2

I agree with your points.  Especially the EMI part.  I wasn't aware that there was supposed to be better EMI resistance from the 800 to the 900.  The highest I have been able to set mine was 20.  Most of the time I am having to drop to the 16 to 18 range.  I love the red light and lighted key pad.  Right at dark the other evening, I was working my way to my truck and ended up finding a broken CS frame buckle.  I stayed quite a bit after dark trying to locate the rest of it...I didn't, but I did get to use the red light and I found it to be great.  You are correct again...relearning ID numbers is throwing me for a loop.  I'm still up in the air about whether I like the D2 or 900 better.  Right now I am at totally opposite ends with them because the only coil I have for the D2 is the 11" and I have several coils for the 900, with the 5x10 CoilTek being my favorite.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

I agree with your points.  Especially the EMI part.  I wasn't aware that there was supposed to be better EMI resistance from the 800 to the 900.  The highest I have been able to set mine was 20.  Most of the time I am having to drop to the 16 to 18 range.  I love the red light and lighted key pad.  Right at dark the other evening, I was working my way to my truck and ended up finding a broken CS frame buckle.  I stayed quite a bit after dark trying to locate the rest of it...I didn't, but I did get to use the red light and I found it to be great.  You are correct again...relearning ID numbers is throwing me for a loop.  I'm still up in the air about whether I like the D2 or 900 better.  Right now I am at totally opposite ends with them because the only coil I have for the D2 is the 11" and I have several coils for the 900, with the 5x10 CoilTek being my favorite.  

I don't know that Minelab has said anything about the 900 being able to handle EMI better. But quite a few have assumed that it would. I don't see any difference. Congratulations on the frame buckle, hopefully you'll find the rest later. I think the D2 and 900 compliment each other very well. I like them both for different reasons.

• Like 3