XP Deus Software Versions / Update History

Cripes, the Deus coil pricing on our side of the world doesn't seem half as bad when comparing to local AT Pro prices.

I purchased a Deus 13" coil for $550au direct from France, whilst our local price for an AT Pro International is around $1220au - a sizeable difference.  An MX Sport here is close to $1500au, so the US dollar certainly isn't in our favour.  

Whilst the Deus coil costs do seem rather high, at least they already come packed with every conceivable feature and setting one could want in a good land based VLF detector, features that are often being drip fed by other manufacturers to their lineup to chase extra sales and to extend the life of certain models.  It also does away with having to try and sell a superceded detector at a significant loss just to upgrade to a new model for a few additional features, often for the same combined price as a single Deus unit.  Clever marketing, but also very clever engineering on XP's part.

I think it was also mentioned that the wireless pinpointer for the Deus was going to be released prior to the V4.0 upgraded, so possibly something to keep an eye out for.

• Like 1

Apparently my post is being read as critical of XP or their pricing in some way and I did not intend it as such. I never said anything about the pricing being too high or too low. I admire the company and the business model and think the Deus is a ground breaking design in many ways. I have a Deus and am one of the first guys in line waiting for the V4 update.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sourdough Scott said:

It seems to me that the controllers internal technology will become dated at a certain time. Where updates will exceed the limits of the controller. 

It is hard to say. They are brilliant folks at XP and as long as the controller was designed to manipulate all the possible parameters in an operational metal detector no reason it should go obsolete per se. The software updates are rewrites of the controller software. And there already are several types of controller available. However, at some point I would expect they release a new controller just to have something else to sell. Maybe one with a color screen?

One massive bonus with the Deus is the fact that i also bought another coil that i have mounted on a spare shaft that i had laying around which means then effectively i have 2 machines,one used by myself with the control and xp wired backphones which provide superb audio for a crazy low price,also the 2nd Deus user uses my WS5 headphones.

So if i have family or friends that wish to use one of these machines they can do so,and i can use the other one.

One of the biggest design faults with the Deus setup is the nose heavy 13'' coil,if only they had mounted the lugs near the centre of the coil rather than to the rear,but a special mounting block was made by a after market guy so that the coil is mounted on the block then the block is mounted on the bottom rod,this simple exercise only cost a small amount but it totally transfer the centre of gravity to the middle of the coil.

Have you ever tried reversing the coil so it aims back towards you shifting the center of gravity back? It looks funny but might be worth a try.

Same story. I have the Deus with 11" coil and controller plus WS5 headphones. When the new coil arrives I will mount it on its own rod and so will in effect have two complete detectors. I am thinking the Golden Mask rod assembly might be just the ticket for the new coil and prospecting.

gold-mask-carbon-fiber-metal-detector-collapsible-shaft.jpg

Steve,that is the same shaft that i have been using since Christmas,absolutely love it,it works exceptionally well with it,only down side is you cannot mount the controller,but i wear mine on the wrist strap anyway.

That GM shaft certainly gets my vote,its a quality piece of kit and when i bought mine it was half the price of a Deus shaft,cannot fault it.

May try the reverse coil trick,as long as it works i dont worry about what it looks like,thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

The one i bought was 262440748133 from Ebay,quick postage and no problems what so ever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universal-Golden-Mask-Telescopic-Handle-/262440748133?hash=item3d1ab00465:g:BxEAAOSwQJhUi43Y

18 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Apparently my post is being read as critical of XP or their pricing in some way and I did not intend it as such. I never said anything about the pricing being too high or too low. I admire the company and the business model and think the Deus is a ground breaking design in many ways. I have a Deus and am one of the first guys in line waiting for the V4 update.

Sorry Steve, wasn't meant to be seen as critical, just highlighting a difference in pricing as from what you would expect in the US, more due to our fluctuating dollar value if anything. 

Personally I don't have any huge issues with the Deus running the 13" coil, yes the lower shaft could be mounted a little further forward, though I still manage to remain relatively fatigue free after a day of detecting.  I usually have a bad habit of not using the arm cuff strap on most of my detectors, but using the arm strap with the 13" coil really is a must for extended periods of detecting.

There seems to be a few entrepreneurs out there making good use of their 3D printers, starting to see a few products including control box mounts, charging clips & coil mounts appearing on Ebay for Deus users.  The wonders of technology never ceases to amaze me, with the capability to make many replacement parts via the home computer.  The previously mentioned 13" coil adapter appears to be a 3D printer creation.