It's Almost June.... Where Are The New Detectors??

Ok....it is almost June 2016.  It seems so far this year we have seen some entry level detectors and an attempt at rehashing previously released detectors.  Just trying to be real here, but we have not seen anything really innovative since the Minelab 7000....and that was nearly a year and a half ago.  Now I know, VLF technology has probable reached its limits, and even PI's are nothing new.  However, I would have at least thought that one of the major manufactures would have thrown us a bone or two.  WHERE ARE ALL THE NEW DETECTORS ??

Hey what about the MX Sport? That's a new detector.

It's way easy as a user to ask why those nerds in the engineering department don't stop playing with their video games and produce some great new detector. The guys in marketing are wanting the exact same thing - where is my new great product to sell? They ask.

However,  speaking as one of those engineer guys, inventing advances in modern metal detector design isn't easy and you don't just snap your fingers and the product materializes out of thin air.

It's like asking why Apple hasn't made any substantial advances in cell phone design in the last few years.  After all,  they have thousands of engineers. why can't my cell phone be the one "do everything" device? 

• Like 1

We detector users do yearn for a new better thing but we also don't want the manufacture to jump the gun on it's release and then we all have to deal with the aftermath. Personally, I don't mind so much as I jumped on the prospecting boat late in life and am just catching up with what's already out there.  But you in the detector choir who have been at this most of your lives and especially with VLF detectors haven't seen real gains in that area in the last 15 years would like to see something really new and innovative. The Nakta/Makro folks did put some nice very feature packed, packages together and there is the 3 freq Deus and Minelabs 3030 which is the reigning multi-frequency champ.  So there is a group of us out there who have just invested a good deal of money and I am actually pretty content with what I have but if I live long enough to join the detector choir I am sure I will think different.

Terry 

Racer 2 and MX Sport are both recent, though nothing new I think in the sense you mean it. I have been waiting on both First Texas and White's to deliver something really new this year, but maybe now we are looking at next year? We should at least have the Nokta Impact before end of year and the Deus V4 update. Other than that I am not holding my breath.

One of the main criterias that i use when buying a new detector or detecting related accessory is i always wait a minimum of 12 months from the launch date as i feel this gives me a very good indication time wise to see if any major design faults/flaws and see the feedback from genuine users rather than possibly 'distorted' reviews from testers.

These are just my personal opinions of course,but its a criteria that i have never veered from and its never let me down thus far,these are recent observations ie Racer plastic component problems and software recalls on Whites machines,these are of course just examples and not aimed at these specific brands/companies.

• Like 2