New Years Resolution

You can get so spoiled swinging the XP..nothing feels as good. The Deus 1 was even better then the Deus 2 especially  with the 5x10 coil it's like you are holding nothing in your arm...if someone has an arm or shoulder problem it's for sure the detector you want.

But the tones....I was hopeful of the new square tones on the Deus 2...it was an improvement but still nothing like the minelabs... it's like going to a concert to hear Whitney Huston sing and going to a concert to hear Edith from "All In The Family" sing...

strick 

• Haha 5

I too am a big believer in having complimentary detectors as no one detector does it all.  I have found the D1 and Nox 800 (with the 10x5 coil) complimented each other well and covered most of the detecting situationals I encounter.  Expecting the D2 and my replacement 900 to do all that and more.  Big believer in having diverse detector DNA for backup/complimentary detectors (e.g., Deus and Nox or Nox and Legend or Legend and Manticore > if you want max value and max features). 

I personally lean towards Deus as a mandatory component of the pairing for 3 reasons:

1) Proven performance and versatility.  Biggest D2 knocks are cost (especially coils because they do signal processing), small gold prospecting, antenna claptrap for water hunting. and lack of a small elliptical (Nox 900 or Legend can fill those gaps or M-core if you want to pay for additional, tangible bells and whistles - and when the M-core small elliptical eventually arrives).

2) I have 7+ years swinging a Deus/Deus 2 - so I know the machine well (still learning new tricks with the D2).

3) Modular Reconfigurability and minimum weight.  With the investment of a single additional D2 coil (~$400), an additional D2 stem or 3rd party shaft system (~$100 to $150), and wired or XP wireless phones ($550 to $170 for a total of $550 to $670 more) you have a complete 2nd detector.

FWIW

• Like 5

15 hours ago, NCtoad said:

This almost exactly mirrors my thoughts on the D2.  I say almost because I clicked with deus the first time out.  It’s an absolute joy to swing with that 9” coil.  I became comfortable very quickly with the menu setup, writing and saving programs and the button layout.  (One thing I don’t like about the button layout is turning the pinpoint function on and off.   They should have made use of the same button to turn it on and off instead of having to switch.)

I loved my nox.  It was my first really, really good and most expensive detector since I started detecting about 6 years ago. I used it since they first came out and thought I was doing well with it.  But since getting the D2 I’ve only had the nox out twice!   And both of those times it felt like a tank with the 11” coil and its tones sounded so foreign.  I couldn’t even remember how to ground balance it.   I had to look up the nox manual on my phone😂.  I don’t think I’ll sell my nox though.  It’s a great detector and makes a great back up detector.  I have the 6” inch coil on now, so it’s pretty light and easy to swing, but I still prefer the deus.  

About the wireless aspect.  I too became a little miffed about this when out in the woods detecting a spring.  I wanted to detect the bottom of the spring reservoir but as soon as I submerged my coil the detector quit. It took me a few seconds to figure out why!  However, I can see a real big advantage to not having a hardwired coil if I was ever to detect a crawl space or a cave or some other place where you might be on all fours.  You can just hold that lower shaft and swing it around like a wand.  Other than submerging the coil and losing the signal, I like the wireless coils.  

I like my deus so much that I hardly ever think about the manticore.  I am almost certain I won’t buy one, unless in a year or two’s time it’s really is out performing the D2.  But hopefully XP will keep updating the D2 and it’ll perform just as well or better than the manticore.  

nox user of 2000+ hours here. and this is completely spot on to my opinion on the deus2.

the only downfall to this machine is its not as good "wading" because of the antenna and the flex in the coil. I still use my nox for that. but the wireless feature for "dry land" detecting has way more PROS than that one CON. I am not sure ill be able to go back to a wired detector.

after swinging the d2 almost exclusively for 6+ months, the nox feels like a turd. i will say however, i do enjoy the full tones of the nox. the d2 full tones arent functioning properly and 5 tones just isnt enough to customize to my liking. that will hopefully be resolved with an update shortly.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

nox user of 2000+ hours here. and this is completely spot on to my opinion on the deus2.

the only downfall to this machine is its not as good "wading" because of the antenna and the flex in the coil. I still use my nox for that. but the wireless feature for "dry land" detecting has way more PROS than that one CON. I am not sure ill be able to go back to a wired detector.

after swinging the d2 almost exclusively for 6+ months, the nox feels like a turd. i will say however, i do enjoy the full tones of the nox. the d2 full tones arent functioning properly and 5 tones just isnt enough to customize to my liking. that will hopefully be resolved with an update shortly.

Have you tried pitch audio?  I was a full tone "zealot" on the Deus 1 and switched to pitch audio with separate iron audio for discriminated ferrous.  Non-ferrous targets really pop (and give nuanced tonal distortion on non-round, non-ferrous targets like canslaw or big cans) and are easily differentiated from the iron audio grunts.  A quick glance at D2's relatively stable TIDs makes for a quick dig decision based on your target range(s) of interest (the simultaneous presence of iron grunts clues you in to potential ferrous TID down-averaging) and you can always further interrogate an iffy target with a diffent mode, or simply a different version of your core program with different audio or filters. Yes, more reliance on TID than pure audio but it has simply become second nature.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Have you tried pitch audio?  I was a full tone "zealot" on the Deus 1 and switched to pitch audio with separate iron audio for discriminated ferrous.  Non-ferrous targets really pop (and give nuanced tonal distortion on non-round, non-ferrous targets like canslaw or big cans) and are easily differentiated from the iron audio grunts.  A quick glance at D2's relatively stable TIDs makes for a quick dig decision based on your target range(s) of interest (the simultaneous presence of iron grunts clues you in to potential ferrous TID down-averaging) and you can always further interrogate an iffy target with a diffent mode, or simply a different version of your core program with different audio or filters. Yes, more reliance on TID than pure audio but it has simply become second nature.

i have dabbled in it briefly but i hunt with my ears almost exclusively. so ive found that pitch just doesnt give me as much info as i'd like. im sure it has its time and place in a heavy iron site you're trying to pluck everything out of. ive been meaning to give it some more attempts and love. it would be nice if they had options to add more breaks up to say 10 breaks. not sure if that would essentially create more processing time and decrease performance.

• Like 2

Yeah, pitch is not really for precise coin shooting.  I use it mainly to give me the following information for relic targets -  Ferrous vs. Non-ferrous, "round" non-ferrous versus vs. "junk" non-ferrous (distorted pitch), deep/small footprint (lower pitch, lower volume intensity) vs. shallow/large footprint (high pitch, high volume intensity) and a glance at target ID for additional info.  It also affords a relatively seamless transition when I shift into D2 Relic mode which uses a similar but slightly different audio scheme.

I get how full tones gives audio feedback on target ID, but I still found myself glancing at TID anyway because I could only really discern about 5 tone "regions".  Hopefully, XP will improve Full Tones further because I definitely feel that on the D2 full tones audio is less descriptive than it was on D1 and the overall full tone audio intensity on D2 is weaker than pitch tones and multi-tones.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, palzynski said:

You will probably see that when you have used a Deus( 1 or 2 ) for some time and you are happy with it , it is very difficult to come back to an other brand ... At least for detector lightness reasons , but for separation in the irons and reactivity on targets too .

I mean for coin-relic inland hunting . For beach huting it is different , it looks like the MLs are still the kings of the beach in the world , this even in France ... 🙂

I agree. Have used top end detectors but Deus (1/2) is my all time favourite machine for inland relic hunting. Talking about D2, it is light, fast and really performing on mineralized soils, unless D1. I’m not a rich man and I would avoid considering buying Manticore in the next future. I want to think that D2 is and will be the metal detector to beat (in inland relic/coin hunting).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, strick said:

But the tones....I was hopeful of the new square tones on the Deus 2...it was an improvement but still nothing like the minelabs... it's like going to a concert to hear Whitney Huston sing and going to a concert to hear Edith from "All In The Family" sing...

If the XPs tones sucks , how do you explain the thousands of XPs ( Deus1 and now Deus2 ) sold and used in Europe , where the soils are probably much more trashy ( I mean iron trash ) , then more noisy than in the US ? 

If the MLs had a better audio than the XPs , they will the standard in Europe . They are not ,and very few people use them for inland coin-relic hunting at least in France , this is just a fact ...

It will be interesting to see if the new MLs 900 and Mcore change this situation . I am looking fwd to test one or both of them btw , I will quickly see if improvements have been done ( or not ) vs the 800 concerning the audio in iron trashed areas ..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yeah, pitch is not really for precise coin shooting.  

I have to disagree.  Rattlehead’s silver slayer program is a very precise coin shooter program.  With the appropriate notching, any of the basic programs can be used with pitch tones to make a very effective coin shooter program.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

I have to disagree.  Rattlehead’s silver slayer program is a very precise coin shooter program.  With the appropriate notching, any of the basic programs can be used with pitch tones to make a very effective coin shooter program.  

Sorry, to clarify better what I meant: when using pitch as a purely audio detection method you don't get precise target conductivity information (audio TID) from the audio only (i.e., without visual TID assist)  [see the excerpt from the D2 manual below].  I agree that you can infer conductivity based on the discrimination and notch breakpoints by setting up sophisticated notching such that you are only hitting coins or high conductors, but pitch by itself cannot give audio target ID information such as multitones or full tones can (i.e., tell you you are hitting low, medium, or high conductors from audio alone).  That's just the nature of pitch.  

This is not saying that pitch is not "sensitive" or effective for coin shooting or doesn't give pure sounding audio for coin targets. The detector still hits coin targets accurately and with correct, precise visual TID when using pitch audio.  But no one using pitch audio can honestly say with certainty they are hitting mid conductive or high conductive coins unless they have notched everything out but a specific conductivity region (i.e., notched everything below 80) solely with pitch audio and without glancing at visual ID.  They can say they are likely hitting a coin, ring, or a symmetric/round target and likely not hitting ferrous.  That was my only point. 

FWIW - I use pitch audio almost exclusively whether I am relic hunting or shooting coins and jewelry at beaches and parks.

HTH

494757782_Screenshot_20230106_180922_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.97d725e1a34f1550ecfeee0b56d60ff4.jpg

• Like 2