New Years Resolution

I also love the D2's Pitch audio. I have been experimenting with both notched and un-notched Fast programs in Pitch (PWM and also Square tones) and Full Tones in PWM. The programs are saved next to each other so I can quickly switch between them on the same target. I prefer hunting with Pitch audio in ether PWM or Square audio. It just pops on good and potentially good targets. I use PWM Full Tones mainly to investigate iffy targets to get a few more clues to make a dig/no dig decision. Square Full Tones just sounds wonky to me so I don't use that. I may be wrong, but in my soils Pitch seems to punch just a little deeper than Full Tones does which is another reason I prefer to hunt in Pitch.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, strick said:

But the tones....I was hopeful of the new square tones on the Deus 2...it was an improvement but still nothing like the minelabs... it's like going to a concert to hear Whitney Huston sing and going to a concert to hear Edith from "All In The Family" sing...

I thought that was very funny Strick. Too bad others didn't get your humor. Edith's singing from "All In The Family" is a good analogy for the way Deus 1 and Deus 2 PWM audio effects me. I either want to howl with laughter sometimes or just turn it OFF. I do use PWM sometimes but I am super thankful that XP gave me the choice of Square Wave audio on Deus 2. It still gives plenty of information and is more pleasantly tonal for my ears than PWM which I would equate to the awful sounds I make due to my very poor classical violin/viola bow control when playing. I am a woodwind/brass/vocal guy so give me Square Wave Audio anytime over PWM.

I won't compare Deus 2 audio to Minelab’s Vanquish,  Equinox, or Manticore audio. No point. XP's Deus 2 and Minelab's latest SMF VLFs are still very different detectors with different strengths and weaknesses so I will leave it at that instead of getting territorial.

• Like 5

There's a lot to unpack with the D2.  I've had mine for several months and haven't even scratched the surface on settings.  I have learned that changing some settings and programs have a dramatic impact on performance; much more than doing so on the Nox machines.  You can hunt an area with one program and settings, then swap it to something else, rehunt the same area and start picking out stuff you never heard the first time.  It makes it hard for me to settle on what I think is the best settings for getting the most out of a place in one hunt.  I am not a fan of the PWM audio either.  I always change that to Square tone audio no matter what program (if available).  I've never played with Pitch tones....might have to try it.  Again...it goes back to how just one setting can change the whole dynamics of this detector.  I was NOT a Deus 1 fan.  I tried to like it...even bought another one to give it another try.  I was really hesitant because of that, to try a D2 but when I watched the videos and heard the audio I thought I'd try it and I've hung onto it ever since.  Mine came with the 11 inch coil and I finally broke down and ordered a 9 inch...it was supposed to be here today but didn't come.  I was hoping they would have an elliptical one by now.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, palzynski said:

If the XPs tones sucks , how do you explain the thousands of XPs ( Deus1 and now Deus2 ) sold and used in Europe , where the soils are probably much more trashy ( I mean iron trash ) , then more noisy than in the US ? 

If the MLs had a better audio than the XPs , they will the standard in Europe . They are not ,and very few people use them for inland coin-relic hunting at least in France , this is just a fact ...

If our hearing was connected to what is popular I might buy that, but it ignores the fact, if you want to talk facts, that hearing is an individual thing. When a person says tones suck it's because they do suck - for them. Not for you. Them. It's a statement of fact coming from that person. The concept of "it sells better" does not make a detector sound any better to somebody.

Is it so hard to accept we all have different preferences, and that there is no reason to insist that we all praise just one detector?

I wonder if XP being made in France has anything to do with them being popular in France? Kind of like Garrett is popular in Texas. Things being popular do not mean they are the best. It just means they are popular.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

.. I wonder if XP being made in France has anything to do with them being popular in France? Kind of like Garrett is popular in Texas. Things being popular do not mean they are the best. It just means they are popular.

From my standpoint I just use what works the best for me . It has very little importance for me wether the detector is a local brand or not .  My first detector was a Tesoro Silver Sabre made in the US and I have been happy with it during several years . Then I changed for a Minelab Explorer ( made in Australia  ) . 

I discovered XP while talking with very experienced guys in a MD shop in Paris in 2007 .  These guys were detecting since the 80s and for some reason they were all using the same detector , the XP Goldmaxx . So I decided to buy one and give it a try ... I quickly understood why they were using this detector , it was simply better than the others in our local conditions .  And I am still with XP 15 years later with the D1/D2 because they perfectly fit my needs

Btw I have A Toyota Yaris which is a Japan brand ( made in France ) , I use Windows 10 and 11 which are incredibly excellent softwares made in the US . My computer is a Dell XPS using an Intel processor, both are designed in the US .  I use a Sony A6000 camera made in Japan . A Samsung TV designed in Corea .  A Garmin Oregon 600 made in the US . A Flir PS23 made in the US .  A Quest Xpointer Max made in China . Etc ... 

Eventually only my Deus1 and 2 are French LOL ...  🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, palzynski said:

If the XPs tones sucks , how do you explain the thousands of XPs ( Deus1 and now Deus2 ) sold and used in Europe , where the soils are probably much more trashy ( I mean iron trash ) , then more noisy than in the US ? 

If the MLs had a better audio than the XPs , they will the standard in Europe . They are not ,and very few people use them for inland coin-relic hunting at least in France , this is just a fact ...

It will be interesting to see if the new MLs 900 and Mcore change this situation . I am looking fwd to test one or both of them btw , I will quickly see if improvements have been done ( or not ) vs the 800 concerning the audio in iron trashed areas ..

I never said the tones suck...I said the menu sucks. And I’m sorry I struck a nerve Palzynski I was just trying to convey that the tones are not as pleasing to me as the minelabs are. But I am in agreement with you that the deus is great in the irons which is why I have had one in my tool box for the past 6 years...they are a wonderful work of French art. I’ll shut up now 🙂 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, strick said:

I never said the tones suck...I said the menu sucks. And I’m sorry I struck a nerve Palzynski I was just trying to convey that the tones are not a pleasing to me as the minelabs are. But I am in agreement with you that the deus is great in the irons which is why I have had one in my tool box for the past 6 years...they are a wonderful work of French art. I’ll shut up now 🙂 

Yes as Steve said , a detector audio is a very individual thing . Even for the D2's users where some prefer the PITCH audio , others PWM , and others SQUARE ...  The good thing is to be able to choose what you like ... I'll shut up too now 🙂  ..

• Haha 1

You are all terrible people. Following this thread, and reading all this good information now has me thinking of buying one of these detectors. Bad, bad, bad.

I was forced to read a little more on the D2/D1 as well. The settings and control of parameters these freakin things are capable of is enough to make a man drool. I drool enough as it is.

Soon I will need a caddy to carry my detectors like a golfer.

Describing detector audio is hard to to do and hard to understand.  Musically inclined people are ahead of the game at this.  My grade school music teacher Juan Anatoo decided the best instrument for me was felt covered blocks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2