My First 2023 Flakes

phrunt

Yes, anything under a kilo is a flake 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

A dink in US?, a scrap in FNQ, a colour in Vic what`s in a name 🤪  tis that bloody lovely golden stuff. I am dirty jealous, be months away before I can get out, just watch out cuz ya might av an old poacher coming over the ditch.

• Like 5

I've stuck to a term 'bits' where the gold is under a gram.....after that, the 'N' word is applied 😉  Good start to the year Simon <huge thumbs up>  I'm off to a flying start as well. I'm heading back to the same spot today, just to dig up 2 big, deep targets that my old 1990's era pick can't reach. Probably deep iron, but ya never know....

IMG_20230106_103504[1].jpg

• Like 9
  • Oh my! 1

In case anyone's wondering....it was deep iron. A large pry bar split in half 😞 Only 2 foot down and a liter of water drank.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

I put 3 hot rocks in the photo but I must have dug 30 of them, the 6000 loved them and I couldn’t balance them out, normal, difficult, low sensitivity, nothing helped.

We have them here. I think they are rhyolite, fine grained, usually some tiny bubbles (hollow spots) and some white bits enclosed in the gray or pinkish mass. Sound exactly like a gold nugget, and no 6000 setting or coil will knock them out. 7000 does not like them either. Luckily, the places I have run into them they are not quite so plentiful as to be more than annoying. If an area was thick with them it would shut you down or force a change in equipment. Rhyolite is high in silica and total alkali metal oxides, and alkali metal oxides can have high conductivity. I'm just winging it on the identification but I think I'm close.

Rhyolite varies in appearance depending on the exact composition and how quickly it cooled. Some pictures:

rhyolite-specimens.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3