Seeking Advice For Trip To Alaska

I’ve booked a trip for a week in July at AK/AU Gold Camp in Nome.

They do rent Metal detectors and they’re part of the package.  Other than the Gold Monster 1000 and Nox 800, I’m not too familiar with the other Minelab products they might have available.

I was thinking about taking my Garrett Axiom.  I have two concerns. First, what’s the best way to get it there?  I’ve heard that Lithium batteries should not ride in an unpressurized area like a cargo hold.  I suppose I could carry it on in the convenient backpack everything fits in.

Second, how will it handle the Alaskan ground?  I’ve heard that VLF machines work better there.

Thanks in advance!

44 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

I’ve booked a trip for a week in July at AK/AU Gold Camp in Nome.

They do rent Metal detectors and they’re part of the package.  Other than the Gold Monster 1000 and Nox 800, I’m not too familiar with the other Minelab products they might have available.

I was thinking about taking my Garrett Axiom.  I have two concerns. First, what’s the best way to get it there?  I’ve heard that Lithium batteries should not ride in an unpressurized area like a cargo hold.  I suppose I could carry it on in the convenient backpack everything fights in.

Second, how will it handle the Alaskan ground?  I’ve heard that VLF machines work better there.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like it’s going to be a great trip!

Cargo holds on commercial airlines are pressurized, but they are not heated and may get cold- which is also bad for lithium batteries.  

As for permitted battery sizes, I made a mistake and edited this. The FAA limits lithium ion batteries to 100 Wh in the cargo hold, but yours is apparently 76Wh and so it can go there if you want:

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

Also check the Canadian regulations about batteries to be sure.

• Like 1

For me I say make your detectors a carry on. You may not have any clothing but you can nugget hunt.

I was thinking about going there myself this year. I’ve been there before with another but this to me is going first class when someone else is doing the cooking.

Chuck 

• Like 2

Batteries built into devices may be packed in baggage. The issues arise with loose or spare batteries, which must be carried on. I flew with Axiom to both Alaska and Australia with detector simply packed in checked luggage. Been doing that with every detector and trip for decades, never had an issue. Have fun and good luck!

589B68A6-575F-4357-A03E-58A78FE60BCE.jpeg

• Like 5

As far as ground, that’s not generally the issue in Alaska. A PI will get more depth but you are hunting trash filled tailing piles. The VLF even though it’s not getting the depth may be a better way to go if digging too much deep trash slows you down too much. On the other hand, if the locations have been well hunted with VLF, only a PI will keep a person in the game. The best solution is pack both, as you should never go to Alaska with only one detector anyway. Cheap insurance against a failure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the link, Steve, and the battery info!  I was hoping that you might weigh in on this.

Looks like I'll be taking the Axiom.  The compact backpack will allow me to carry it on the plane.

If they bunk you up with someone, be sure to take some EAR PLUGS!  Made my trip bearable from the snoring at night.  Plus those Thermacell mosquito units worked pretty good for me, I went in the month of July, years ago.   GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

If they bunk you up with someone, be sure to take some EAR PLUGS!  Made my trip bearable from the snoring at night.  Plus those Thermacell mosquito units worked pretty good for me, I went in the month of July, years ago.   GaryC/Oregon Coast

Already in my suitcase, Gary. Ear plugs are a must while traveling with others!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

As far as ground, that’s not generally the issue in Alaska. A PI will get more depth but you are hunting trash filled tailing piles. The VLF even though it’s not getting the depth may be a better way to go if digging too much deep trash slows you down too much. On the other hand, if the locations have been well hunted with VLF, only a PI will keep a person in the game. The best solution is pack both, as you should never go to Alaska with only one detector anyway. Cheap insurance against a failure.

What settings did you use the most, Steve?

Thanks!

On Axiom? I was not where you are going so not sure that matters, but basically I was running defaults with sensitivity set to taste. It is imperative you learn the settings and what they do, how they interact. Relying on other people's settings is not the way to go with metal detecting in my opinion. It's like owning a stick shift car and asking someone on the internet what gear to use and where to put the gas pedal. They drive the freeway, so they tell you put it in 4th and floor it. You are on a bumpy dirt road, so you do that and crash and burn. It's better to just learn how to drive the car. :smile:

But you have to start someplace and that is what default settings are for. The defaults, with sensitivity set as desired (3-5 for most people) should work in the majority of locations.

From https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/19438-axiom-instructional-video-training-series/

From a full reset / factory default, my steps are:

1. Use default sensitivity. The Axiom default sensitivity of 4 is about the same as other detectors maxed out. New users may want to lower to 3, more experienced operators go to 5. Only go above 5 if you are willing to deal with extra noise or have more experience with the detector. Over-driving the sensitivity will be the number one mistake made with the Axiom.
  2. Volume so that loudest target is not too loud - protect your hearing!. Wave over digging pick and set. If using headphones, set detector to full volume, and adjust headphones downward using their own volume controls.
  3. Set threshold to suit, for me a bare tone, others may prefer quiet.
  4. Go into menu and change Speed from default Medium to Slow (it’s smoother/quieter)
  5. Do a ground grab ground balance.
  6. Optional. Once all other settings adjusted, do an EMI cancel if it seems necessary. If you use a pinpointer, turn it on and place 3 feet away before doing the EMI cancel. This will help eliminate interference from the pinpointer.
  7. Start detecting, keep the coil low, go slow. Dig all signals, but in heavy nails and low chance of really large gold, focus on sweet high tones.
  • Like 2