Not Ground Balancing The Detector Causing Iron Targets To Trick The Detector

Seems like everyone will never ground balance in the videos. My hot soil will actually get rid of small iron during the GB process. I have also noticed on many videos that ground mineral noise is mistaken for actual iron targets. Just some thoughts. What say you. 

kinsey.jpg

• Like 2

I've always thought it was best to ground balance myself. I always thought keeping the Equinox on zero was a mistake. The further away from zero your detector balances the more it matters in my opinion. I have from single digit to mid 50's ground balance numbers with the soils where I live.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Not Ground Balancing The Detector Causing Iron Targets To Trick The Detector

Getting to know and trust a detector takes a little longer than the unboxing video and quick start they run us through in these early days.

I know a few detectors I’ve owned that let me know with the iron falsing that the GB was off. These machines I came to trust and they pulled some really nice targets out of the ground.

It’s those machines that run silent nearly all the time you really have to watch out for. They are engineered not to annoy and lack depth with hair splitting discrimination.

I like a good ground balance channel.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cliff490 said:

A lot of the places I hunt I cant find a clean spot to ground balance over.  

Use that weird detector thing in your hand and clear out a small area just a bit larger than the coil, then ground balance over that 😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Cliff490 said:

A lot of the places I hunt I cant find a clean spot to ground balance over.  

Chase mentioned another method in a trashy area, use the pinpoint function to find a spot where there's nothing, and ground balance there. You have to be a little more precise when pumping the detector but it works.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Chase mentioned another method in a trashy area, use the pinpoint function to find a spot where there's nothing, and ground balance there. You have to be a little more precise when pumping the detector but it works.

This is the method I have always used. I also always ground balance manually and frequently. I suspect that in an area with lots of iron trash auto ground balance will drift away from the correct ground balance. I also think that auto ground balance drifts when you spend extra time investigating an iffy target causing changes in discrimination and sensitivity. These are just my opinions based on years of using a V3i then an Equinox 800. Maybe auto ground balance is better than I thought, and hopefully it is much improved in the Manticore. I would be very interested in hearing from the experts.

Ringtail

• Like 5

On 1/6/2023 at 4:58 AM, George Kinsey said:

I have also noticed on many videos that ground mineral noise is mistaken for actual iron targets. Just some thoughts. What say you. 

This

• Like 2