Not Ground Balancing The Detector Causing Iron Targets To Trick The Detector

13 hours ago, Ringtail said:

I also think that auto ground balance drifts when you spend extra time investigating an iffy target causing changes in discrimination and sensitivity. These are just my opinions based on years of using a V3i then an Equinox 800. Maybe auto ground balance is better than I thought,

There were what I call "rumors" or "feelings" about Tracking Ground Balance in the beginning. 

ALL FALSE with an Equinox 800. If anyone would know it>>would be me. In 4 years, I have investigated 1000's of targets that would not TID with the horseshoe mode on. The faintest of whispers when first found. NOT ONCE have I had to switch out of Tracking GB because of some issue where the target gets weaker or lost. There is not much more I can say......

I have witnessed a starting ground balance of X with tracking ground balance accidentally left on. It drifted quite a bit by the time I noticed auto tracking was on. I re-grounded balanced and it was back to very close the original ground balance number. This has just been my experience. Hunting on land I don't think I want tracking on, but a person should use whatever works for them.

• Like 2

My fear with ground tracking on trashy sites, is the detector ground balancing over a target...and in trashy sites, the coil is almost always over a target. I imagine there are algorithms that try to average out situations like that, but still.

Then again, I'm thinking ground tracking isn't designed for trashy sites, or most sites for that matter. More for non-trashy sites in which the ground mineralization changes as you wonder around. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yes yes yes!!  Not ground balancing, and then also doing comparisons with 2 or 3 (or more) detectors with ALL of them on at the same time, right beside one another.  It drives me batty.  I also agree that the noise a lot of them are hearing is feedback/blow back from not balancing.  I was running Auto Tracking on the Manticore this past hunt and could hear the ground changes way before the machine actually auto tracked to it.  In that regard, by manual balancing, I could keep up with it faster than Auto could, and stay on top of it.  

You should to always ground balance to obtain right ground stability. Some machines without it could be terribly noisy...

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

You should to always ground balance to obtain right ground stability. Some machines without it could be terribly noisy...

Over here in France the soil is low or moderately mineralized, ground balancing doesnt change anything the detectors are already stable with their default fixed GB setting . 

I have done bed tests ( moderately mineralized soil)  comparing the depth and stability without GB and with GB .  There is definitely a slight improvement when doing the GB but I prefer to save time in the field and the default fixed GB setting works very well for me for me at least for XP ( D1 and D2 ) or ML  ( Equinox 800 )  ..