Minelab GPX Power Source's Stock Vs Aftermarket?

If you own a GPX I'm sure if you don't already have a battery back up you are probably wanting to get one.  Well, that's where I am at.  Problem is buying a 2nd battery is some 400 dollars or more.  I know Doc's has the Screamer kit with the amp and a couple smaller batteries etc which don't sound bad but it's still over 400 dollars for the complete set up.  There may be some other similar set ups as well, I don't know.  I could see the option of buying the Screamer amp for 135, the little pouch that goes around the detector for 50 and another 50 for one battery cutting the cost a bit.  But then you need a different charger for this battery so probably another 20 or so bucks.  So with shipping your probably better than 250 for the set up.  

Some say the screamer amp is plastic and can get cracks in it easily?  I'm assuming too the screamer has a built in regulator but I don't know.   

Anyone have experience with using the stock minelab set up VS the aftermarket one's?    

Don't get me going on the screamer. Went back to the stock battery after spending untold dollars on batteries and chargers and I ain't the only one who feels this way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, goldbrick said:

Don't get me going on the screamer. Went back to the stock battery after spending untold dollars on batteries and chargers and I ain't the only one who feels this way.

Thank for the input goldbrick.  In my search for alternatives I have seen some negative reviews about the screamer set up.  

I have seen some smaller minelab GPX batteries on OZ websites but no one seems to sell them over here?  

9 hours ago, Bada Bing said:

Best of both worlds. The battery is excellent and the wireless setup is great too.

Thanks BB.

How long can one prospect on one battery charge?

All day no problems. The unit powers down after you turn off your detector and tells you how much charge is left - nifty.
The main reason my mate and I bought one was for the wireless capability. The excellent battery was a bonus. I have not heard anything bad about them. My 2 cents

Cheers

BB

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bada Bing said:

The main reason my mate and I bought one was for the wireless capability. The excellent battery was a bonus. I have not heard anything bad about them. My 2 cents

Thanks again.  I may go with this depending on the shipping charge.  Not sure if there is a hazmat fee for batteries or things having batteries but I'll find out.  I do know right now our currency goes farther over there so the difference in value of our dollar could offset the shipping cost.  I recently bought a coil from Oz and even with a 50 dollar (AU) shipping fee the coil was still cheaper than if I had bought it over here in the US.  

Terry

My only comment is that the stock GPX battery is one of the best things going about the machine. I had spares but the reality is as long as I had the ability to charge nightly I just never needed anything but the battery that came with the detector. So much so that were I to get another GPX I would not spend the money on getting a spare.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So much so that were I to get another GPX I would not spend the money on getting a spare.

Appreciate that info Steve.  I don't really want to spend another 1/2 a grand right now anyway if I don't need to.  Maybe when and if I earn some of the money back with finding gold I will invest in another battery of some kind.