Gold Monster Vs 24K Vs Gold Bug 2 Or...........

I would still own the 24K or the Goldmonster 1000 if they had decent ergonomics and were really easy to pack up or deploy from a backpack. Gold Bug ll.......I could care less no matter how well it detects.

On another note, the Garrett Ace Apex would be a decent gold prospecting detector right now if it had an all metal type one tone VCO option. Why Garrett handcuffed that detector with too many tones which just make it even more jumpy and unstable as its only tone option is beyond me. Even a 2 tone ferrous/non ferrous option.....Garrett what were you thinking?????

• Like 4

🤔 Why does Garrett aiming the Ace Apex at beginner level or people on a budget mean they should severely limit its detecting ability by giving it only one choice of audio features that make its beginner level performance even worse? 

What other Garrett SMF VLF detector would get its feelings hurt if the Apex got a one tone/two tone audio option software update? 💬

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But back on track, a Gold Bug 2 in an Apex package - that’s what I would have made after over 20 years instead of what we actually got from Fisher. Their update landed with the loudest thud I’ve ever heard. It was like taking a rotary dial phone and putting a screen on it! :laugh:

I really like knobs until I bump them.

I don't like a Six Pack on top of a stick however.

Any of those three detectors put into an APEX/Axiom type control box with a collapsible shaft, internal rechargeable battery and wireless audio........I would buy it for sure.

I’m not saying the Apex package is perfect either. I hate the chicklet buttons. They are too small and close together, are hard to clean and therefore collect grit, and then eventually stick. Give me larger better spaced touch controls designed for large fingers wearing dirty gloves. The top should be smooth and wipe clean with a wet towel in two seconds. It should also ship with a ten pack of screen protectors so nobody will worry about scratching the screen.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I really like knobs until I bump them.

I can't believe that for 40 years the metal detecting industry didn't catch on to lockable knobs with easily readable and reproducible numerically logable (is that a word?) metrics:

634573205_Screenshotat2023-01-07134907.png.889289427e1d7ddc1a91a668a87a5c9e.png

Well, I can think of two reasons:  cost (~$5 vs. ~$0.50 ?) and idiot-proofing (because of forgetting to unlock, eventually damaging the mechanism).  Those are two things that are tough to fight -- companies who want to save bucks by going cheap(er) and companies that cater to idiots.

(Having said this, maybe there is a mass produced detector out there that actually has these.  40 years is a long time.)

• Like 3

I have no experience with nugget hunting, and may not understand exactly the problem  you would like solved, but the Makro Gold Racer is what pried the Gold Bug 2 out of my  closet. I love that detector and will probably never sell it. 

Three well over 3 pound top heavy detectors using 4 to 8 batteries for detecting in challenging terrain by older folks like me OR stick all of that tech in a beautiful, possibly waterproof, under 3 pound detector with wireless audio, internal rechargeable battery, nice shaft system, good features and with nice controls and screen.

Some of those three have one of those qualities but that’s about it.

I liked the Gold Racer. I like the Gold Kruzer more….waterproof, wireless audio and internal rechargeable battery. I really like the Legend for the same reasons and it has a really nice collapsible shaft system.

• Like 5

The Gold Kruzer got it close but suffered from also trying to be a coin/jewelry detector. Legend even more so. Those are great options, glad we have them (well, not the Kruzer now) but there is still room for a dedicated nugget detector, preferably high power multi. Nox improved but stripped of all but nugget functions. And for like $499.

• Like 6