Gold Monster Vs 24K Vs Gold Bug 2 Or...........

If you could only pick the bits of each detector you like and make a mash up you would end up with something great, when I was using my 4500 I desperately wanted the new model to have a speaker, along came the 6000 with a speaker so I had to have it, then I was told I shouldn’t use the speaker as it hinders performance which was eventually fixed and now I’m happily using the speaker, the only problem now is it’s quite a quiet speaker.  The Ace 300 I have has a far superior speaker, as does the Gold Bug Pro or GB2.  If only I could have their speaker on the 6000.  

That’s just one example of taking good features from one detector to another to better it, if manufacturers wanted to listen to end users they could get some great advice to easily make a market leading VLF for gold we would all want to own, they are just about all capable of doing it and Fisher should take it on as they need it the most to bring them back into the game and further their excellent Gold Bug name into the future.

• Like 5

Even though I like new digital technology in small little packages,  I am still adjusting and accepting it kinda slow these days. Take my cellphone for example…

1D667194-7E80-45A6-B79C-AF16566BACA1.thumb.jpeg.c9d421c46e23d602b6fd90932aaa9a48.jpeg

But seriously, trying out a 5000 once vs using a GM got me hooked on using the more automatic detectors for its ease of use, and size secondly.  In my case and area I live in, gold is small and I don’t get out that often so it was an easy choice to go with a tippy box GM, 24k, or Nox.  Their sizes and handling doesn’t really bother me, but If I were someone who lived or could go more often to larger gold country, I may have chosen a more better handling model over the others.  What really matters to me is what’s inside and how well it works.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wltdwiz said:

i have the gold monster 1000

its light fun & finds gold

ill never get rid of it

just found these yesterday  notice the little nugglet on his face

IMG_20230107_085817885_HDR.jpg

Absolutely, all three detectors in the original post are outstanding gold prospecting specific detectors. 

However, I agree with Steve. All three could use an external facelift/makeover along with some updated features. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

Even though I like new digital technology in small little packages,  I am still adjusting and accepting it kinda slow these days. Take my cellphone for example…

1D667194-7E80-45A6-B79C-AF16566BACA1.thumb.jpeg.c9d421c46e23d602b6fd90932aaa9a48.jpeg

But seriously, trying out a 5000 once vs using a GM got me hooked on using the more automatic detectors for its ease of use, and size secondly.  In my case and area I live in, gold is small and I don’t get out that often so it was an easy choice to go with a tippy box GM, 24k, or Nox.  Their sizes and handling doesn’t really bother me, but If I were someone who lived or could go more often to larger gold country, I may have chosen a more better handling model over the others.  What really matters to me is what’s inside and how well it works.  

I agree. I also believe I can have both what's inside and in a great package if I push for it. I have been doing that for a long time now and in general it works. It just takes a long time. :smile: Manufacturers are looking for good ideas, but "good enough" is not one of them.

• Like 3

These mods really helped my Monster for what I need.  Extended "legs" on the stand probably keeps the thing from falling over 50% less?  Equinox adjustable shaft and adjustable strap so I can throw it over my shoulder and out of the way when I hike or hunt with the 2300 (use the vlf for fast target recovery).  Cost=$45 for shaft.

Seeing as how no perfect tector made sometimes ya gotta improvise.......

• Like 3

I think the 24K is already the 'Apex' of VLF nugget detectors..... although I love the GB2 also. Being an 80's era detectorist, the manual ground balance is something I miss (prob only for nostalgia reasons). Sure the ergonomics could always benefit from a re-design, but the only way I would add a H/F VLF to my prospecting arsenal is if technology was created to eliminate/reduce the ground signal better and without losing the H/F sensitivity (the whole reason for using a VLF for prospecting). I will purchase an Equinox this year, but thats mainly as backup or multi purpose (coin/relic/tiny gold) use. 

Top of my list for H/F VLF's would easily be the 24K or a close second is the Gold Kruzer. I think the GB2 could benefit from better coils though and be a contender also. BUT, the 'next step' is always gonna be new technology for ground signal reduction, not ergonomics.....but that will no doubt be included when ML, NM or Garrett take that step.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

That’s just one example of taking good features from one detector to another to better it, if manufacturers wanted to listen to end users they could get some great advice to easily make a market leading VLF for gold we would all want to own, they are just about all capable of doing it and Fisher should take it on as they need it the most to bring them back into the game

I  agree,

If only all past and present detector features could advance together for a great end product!!!

My favorite features being offered in current prospecting VLF's are Multi-IQ and single frequencies selectable options, hopefully 13, 20, 40, and 71 options will be available on the next generation Goldmonster. I'm also hoping they will add fully programmable control setting's like the Equinox and  a full auto option like the Goldmonster for the beginners to start with, but with a threshold option like the 6000. Maybe even possibly add a VDI and 2D FE-CO for helping to determine the probability of rubbish.

Incorporate waterproof to 15 feet, noise cancel, USB chargers, replaceable li-ion batteries, Bluetooth headphones with the screw in headphone jack (option), and keep the package lightweight (Deus).  

I'd also like to see some of the much older design features brought back also. Some examples of this are the ergonomics of the balanced Fisher's S rod that would separate in three pieces for backpacking, but maybe in a Manticore carbon/camlock fashion. The hip mountable control boxes or even the less desired wireless coils (Deus) [that would even help solve even the Pulse Induction weight issues]. The White's detectors flat control box that would not fall over even when put on an very uneven surface, the Fisher 3 x 6.5 inch elliptical concentric or double DD coils for the greatest sensitivity and also for the greatest mobility in rocky areas, and the Goldmonster 1000 ability to carry spare interchangeable li-ion battery pack for extended hike in camping. We used to have VLF detectors that could run for 40 plus hours on one set of batteries and now the VLF detector I use most frequently only has an internal battery that can only last 12 hours.  

Seems like lately the VLF advancements are slowing down now, especially in performance. The past leg work has already been done, just need to incorporate all these great past features into one package.

How about any other features you would like to see added???

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

How about any other features you would like to see added???

two tone break on the Monster

• Like 3