Gold Monster Vs 24K Vs Gold Bug 2 Or...........

4 hours ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

How about any other features you would like to see added???

An actual smooth VCO threshold instead of that woeful pop, fart and click attempted digital processing non-threshold that the 'Monster' has now..... at least as an option...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:07 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The Gold Kruzer got it close but suffered from also trying to be a coin/jewelry detector. Legend even more so. 

Just ignore the 3-tone mode if you want, and the Gold Kruzer is exactly the machine you are asking for. The 3-tone mode makes it a killer micro jewellery machine, so why would it be a negative? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PhaseTech said:

why would it be a negative?

I agree, nuthin negative about it....definitely in the top 3 HF VLF detectors out there. I think what splits the 24K, Gold Kruzer and GB2 is personal preference and coil selections.

I primarily use a PI machine in the areas I detect in, but I like to have the option of using a VLF to check for smaller gold in the spots where I find nuggets. (In mild ground my old GMT still pings smaller gold than my prospecting buddy with his 6000, so there’s still a good reason to carry one around.) At the moment though, the only option for me is to carry two machines, which isn’t really viable when hiking long distances. Two of the biggest problems I face is that current shafts don’t collapse down small enough to fit in my backpack and detectors don’t come apart easily enough to pack them down to make efficient use of bag space. I’d like to be able to carry one highly collapsible shaft that can be used with two machines and for all the parts to neatly fit in alongside the other tools I carry. 

• Like 6

Is there really a reason for a gold specific VLF anymore?  I purchased the Equinox 800 from Gerry after he made a very excellent post right before the price increase pitching it as an incredibly capable gold machine.  He was 100% right. 

I have had, and sold, the GB2, Whites GMT, and the Gold Monster. I still have a 24K, but my next VLF purchase will be the 900 or the Manticore, pending reviews.  

I am sure I am missing many obvious reasons for a pure gold machine, but it seems like today's technology (hardware and software) negate most of them. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Lynk said:

Is there really a reason for a gold specific VLF anymore?

Yes, there is....BUT the Nox 800 and 900 (and maybe Manticore) as you say certainly stretch that boundary. My next purchase will prob be a discounted Nox800 wholly due to the fact that it is such a great  VLF prospecting unit. As you know the 24K and the Gold Kruzer both have discrim/target ID options and can be used as a basic coin/relic hunter, but mainly the design of these focuses on faster threshold retune and mineral filtering with more purposeful coil options. 

From my limited use of a Nox800, the designers have certainly made almost the perfect multi-purpose VLF detector. As Gerry said, its a great machine for gold prospecting in its own right!

• Like 2

I owned a 24K (Whites version) but sadly had to sell it to afford the GPX6000. I still think that the 24K is the best HF VLF out there. BUT, I will always need a backup detector and I occasionally spend time detecting for coins/relics around old gold rush townsites and will eventually take some time off and head to the beach now and then. So, ideally a detector that is capable of ALL that is what I need. The true 'multi-purpose' aspect of the Nox800 fits the bill better than any other detector currently. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

Just ignore the 3-tone mode if you want, and the Gold Kruzer is exactly the machine you are asking for. The 3-tone mode makes it a killer micro jewellery machine, so why would it be a negative? 

Yes, you can do that. The Gold Kruzer was a good attempt. Mine had coil knock issues but it was a prototype so maybe just mine. Kind of moot now. If I am going to use a multipurpose detector then I chose the Nox over the Gold Kruzer myself. I was talking about what I or others might like in a newly designed detector, and I was suggesting that a simple machine with only the controls needed might be a way to go. But whatever, it's just a discussion thread. I don't very often use a VLF to nugget hunt anyway. :smile:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes, you can do that. If I am going to use a multipurpose detector then I have chosen the Nox over the Gold Kruzer myself. I was talking about what I or others might like in a newly designed detector, and I was suggesting that a simple machine with only the controls needed might be a way to go. But whatever, it's just a discussion thread. I don't very often use a VLF to nugget hunt anyway. :smile:

Has anyone ever tried making a combination VLF/PI machine? Frankenstein’s child from a mix between a GPX and a Nox? Probably a bad idea as optimizing Coils to do both would probably lose some functionality in one mode or another. But it would be intriguing to have something like that. It would perhaps need interchangeable coils to do both modes effectively, but it would be so much better if it could be all in one and the user could switch back-and-forth to instead of swapping coils to get good discrimination modes in VLF and the benefits of PI. 

Garrett- are you listening? 🤑