Gold Monster Vs 24K Vs Gold Bug 2 Or...........

2 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Has anyone ever tried making a combination VLF/PI machine? Frankenstein’s child from a mix between a GPX and a Nox? Probably a bad idea as optimizing Coils to do both would probably lose some functionality in one mode or another. But it would be intriguing to have something like that. It would perhaps need interchangeable coils to do both modes effectively, but it would be so much better if it could be all in one and the user could switch back-and-forth to instead of swapping coils to get good discrimination modes in VLF and the benefits of PI. 

Garrett- are you listening? 🤑

It can easily be done, as VLF coils can do double duty as PI coils if set up right. I asked White's about putting an MXT and TDI in the same box, basically two detectors in one, with an ability to switch between the two, and was told there is no reason why not. Except that nobody has done it. Great idea still, thanks for bringing it up.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Aureous said:

I owned a 24K (Whites version) but sadly had to sell it to afford the GPX6000. I still think that the 24K is the best HF VLF out there. BUT, I will always need a backup detector and I occasionally spend time detecting for coins/relics around old gold rush townsites and will eventually take some time off and head to the beach now and then. So, ideally a detector that is capable of ALL that is what I need. The true 'multi-purpose' aspect of the Nox800 fits the bill better than any other detector currently. 

You made a good point, making me think of how nice it would be to have a true multifunctional PI/VLF one.

It’s interesting, as Steve pointed out, that the coils could serve both modes. I hope if anyone ever does make one that they only use one coil, because if it comes out with interchangeable coils “someone” will probably want to put a chip in them!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Could they then use some software to switch back and forth rapidly and integrate the signals on the screen? There must be a reason why not, but I never listen to reason.

I think having it automatically switch like that would not be as functional as letting the operator manually compare signals from both of them.

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It can easily be done, as VLF coils can do double duty as PI coils if set up right. I asked White's about putting an MXT and TDI in the same box, basically two detectors in one, with an ability to switch between the two, and was told there is no reason why not. Except that nobody has done it. Great idea still, thanks for bringing it up.

Any CC or DD coil can function as both PI or VLF, provided both sides of the circuitry matched the specs of the coil. Mono's cannot work though coz VLF (Induction Balance) needs two coil windings for transmit and receive.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes, you can do that. The Gold Kruzer was a good attempt. Mine had coil knock issues but it was a prototype so maybe just mine. Kind of moot now. If I am going to use a multipurpose detector then I chose the Nox over the Gold Kruzer myself. I was talking about what I or others might like in a newly designed detector, and I was suggesting that a simple machine with only the controls needed might be a way to go. But whatever, it's just a discussion thread. I don't very often use a VLF to nugget hunt anyway. :smile:

My Gold Kruzer has the smoothest threshold in any VLF gold machine I've used. It's like cranking up the V/SAT on an old goldmaster, but without losing all the sensitivity. All high freq VLFs will suffer some knock sensitivity (whether its in the coil or the cable) its just a nature of the beast. There isn't a single VLF gold detector that is totally immune to it, current or past detectors. Being a prototype, yes maybe you got a bad one. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PhaseTech said:

My Gold Kruzer has the smoothest threshold in any VLF gold machine I've used. It's like cranking up the V/SAT on an old goldmaster, but without losing all the sensitivity. All high freq VLFs will suffer some knock sensitivity (whether its in the coil or the cable) its just a nature of the beast. There isn't a single VLF gold detector that is totally immune to it, current or past detectors. Being a prototype, yes maybe you got a bad one. 

My multiple Gold Bug 2s could hit a golf ball and never false. Never had a knock issue with the several 24K I have used. Nor Deus 1 HF coils. Anyway, I'm glad you like the Gold Kruzer - it’s a good detector and it was fun working with Nokta on it.

• Like 4

Apex format is nice, I agree with Jeff they really handicapped the machine audio wise.

Audio tone is so short it is very easy to run it too hot. If they made a new version that had a true all metal mode and much like the AT Gold but in SMF format I think it would have potential but why if they have the 24k?

Though I am not a nugget hunter I do love the Gold Racer and use it for coin and relic hunting.

3 hours ago, Aureous said:

Any CC or DD coil can function as both PI or VLF, provided both sides of the circuitry matched the specs of the coil. Mono's cannot work though coz VLF (Induction Balance) needs two coil windings for transmit and receive.

Doesn't this argue for a DoD coil like the GPZ?

• Like 1

I use the Gold Bug 2, and I love everything about it's decades old design, Yes the updated version doesn't impress me, I think their marketing department was trying to keep up with the Gold Monster's sexier appearance that makes new hobbyist think that the gm is something better then it really is. Put a newbee in front of a GB2 and a GM, they will gravitate towards the  GM I'm sure. I don't think I would use any vlf for nugget hunting with all the hot rocks. Maybe because I just detect in mostly quartz hard rock tailings I'm not seeing the same problematic issues.

• Like 2