Gold Monster Vs 24K Vs Gold Bug 2 Or...........

3 hours ago, Redz said:

Doesn't this argue for a DoD coil like the GPZ?

Yes that could work....I dont think any company has trialed a DOD coil for Induction balance design yet? It still uses twin windings...but will depend on if there's a benefit to doing that or not.

• Like 1

I wonder why no body has implemented the" Follow The Black Sand" feature on the old White's GMT.

I know 24K has a bar graph that with tell you the amount of minerals but the GMT put the information in numeric form.

I was searching a site and found were they were processing there concentrates and used my GMT effectively to map a small area. I was pumping the coil and watching the numbers like 25, 30 and maybe a 40 then I would see a number like 60.  I would drywash the high number areas that I mapped and found some good gold they lost on this commercial placer operation. They were sloppy is my best guess feeding a Knudsen bowl too fast or to much water. They spread out all the black sand tailings with lost gold with dirt mixed before they left. Iam keeping my GMT just for that feature. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 5:03 PM, Geotech said:

At White's I designed a transmitter and analog front end for a combined MXT+SMPI. I breadboarded it and it worked, but never built a prototype because I mostly did it on a bet. It was intended to be a switchable design, not simultaneous.

But then I built a truncated half-sine system which was a true hybrid VLF+PI system. The prototype was working great, already beating the TDI. I was working on auto tracking and disc when I left White's. No one ever picked it up and continued and now Garrett owns the patent.

Would the patent still be current? Fingers crossed Garrett dusts it off and gives it some development time. It could turn into the next big thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What I wanted to see in the Gold Bug 3 that never appeared, was the ability to downshift from 71 kHz to 18 kHz (71 divided by 4) giving us an early version of what is now called the XP ORX. That alone would have been enough, but adding two tone ferrous/non-ferrous would have been better yet. Instead, we were offered the Gold Strike, and that did not go very well for the old Fisher. People really were expecting a Gold Bug 3, and the Gold Strike was as far from those expectations as you can get.

• Like 5

The true PI-IB hybrid would potentially give us the 'holy grail': actual iron ID or discrim at full or near-full depth. Write up some decent code to deliver actual high coil energy saturation with low'ish sample delays and you could have an amazing deep iron ID relic detector or deep nugget hunter that should give the GPZ a run.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I feel after all these years since the GB2 has been around, something would surpass it. 71 khz will find the smallest pieces, so going any higher wouldn't make sense. Vlf is Vlf and you can't make it something it's not. I only wish I was into gold detecting when it first came out. I only use it in lode quartz tailings not for placer and would never try. But for finding pieces like the ones in pic I want the GB2 not a 45khz or 40khz or 19khz. Those will still hit on these pieces but they don't hit as strong. That quick Waap Waap noise is the sound I'm looking for and easily distinguishable from hot rocks. Hot rocks usually give a totally different sound, and the ground balance is rarely touched once I get into a spot I rake material in front of me and it never changes unless I was walking and detecting something you don't do on the hillside. The GB2 can't be improved in my opinion.IMG_20230301_010739663_HDR.thumb.jpg.75c978299c9a9e6186e077e97a68b227.jpgIMG_20211120_2058180782.thumb.jpg.e6f39dc50488e2aa8a07583b83704526.jpg

• Like 9

On 1/7/2023 at 10:46 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Their update landed with the loudest thud I’ve ever heard.

I have to agree.  When seeing the new version, my thought was: “That’s a bit insulting to us target customers.” It’s almost as if they were targeting the Radio Shack do-it-yourself crowd from 40 years ago. “Gee whiz—its got an LCD!”  An unfortunate, out of touch upgrade for the world of iPhone users. Slim, functional, and powerful are expected in order to justify the replacement. 

• Like 3

yes, but it was a forced update, it was done due to components no longer existing required to make it in it's traditional vintage form so needed some adjustments to use modern components.  I'd much prefer an old model though, I can't imagine many people "upgraded".

I think it was more crushing they released it rather than releasing a modern Gold Bug 3, that's what everyone was waiting and hoping for, and by releasing that modified Gold Bug 2 they gave the impression there is not going to be a Gold Bug 3, and that's likely the reality.  Just another paint job.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. How do you find out such things?

I agree, it doesn’t spin it any better that it was a simply a component supply issue. 

1 minute ago, Skookum said:

Interesting. How do you find out such things?

I agree, it doesn’t spin it any better that it was a simply a component supply issue. 

Carl (Geotech) who works for Fisher told us.  I believe it's worse than the old one, the new controls are more annoying, the old one is nice and simple.   I'd certainly not "upgrade" my old one for a new model, unusual for me to say that 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1