Gold Basin Is Still Giving Up The Gold!!

I thought the guys here were saying a noticeable improvement even with headphone connectivity? I know mine is bad, as headphone or speaker goes wonky when the coil is off angle, or if the detector is set on the ground.

6 minutes ago, WesD said:

I thought the guys here were saying a noticeable improvement even with headphone connectivity? I know mine is bad, as headphone or speaker goes wonky when the coil is off angle, or if the detector is set on the ground.

Could be a placebo effect. I was told that the fix only addresses the speaker issue

2 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

Jasong, I know guys that have sent their detectors in to be fixed and some that have a particular model of the first few months of production and the same model a couple years later or more and they claim there is a difference between the sensitivity. I can't afford to take a chance on it being better than it was before sending it in. I will wait to see how everyone else on here feels about the results on theirs after sending them in. 

They are replacing unshielded inductors with shielded inductors. I've seen the parts list. The inductors from what I can tell are still the same component values though so it's unlikely that sensitivity would decrease. It was a hardware issue on the board with lack of shielding, affecting all 6000's made before September or so - which is exactly what I was saying on this forum for months when people insisted it was my unit in particular defective and I should send in for repair (this was prior to the fix existing, so it wouldn't have helped).

I knew I was seeing the problem on all 6000's I had come across though even if no one else believed me or could see it themselves, so I didn't let the matter drop and pursued it with Minelab, and in a roundabout series of events, this is why we all became aware of this hidden fix, and definitely why it became available in the US finally, as I spent another month trying to get it here prior to anyone else knowing about it yet. But I won't get into all that story here.

The only thing it's should do (from my understanding) is decrease the spurious EMI. There is a chance any EMI getting to those old unshielded inductors could affect the 6000 even without using the speaker, so I wouldn't doubt the performance is improved with headphones too, but I can't say that with any certainty since I almost never used the headphones before the fix, nor after, so I have no reference frame to judge headphone performance with.

But I can say with 100% certainty the 6000 is much improved with the fix while using the speaker. If you are making vids, it would be worth it to get the fix for that alone IMO. Minelab is seriously misrepresenting what this fix is - they make it sound like it's some kind of audio only fix, which could be interpreted as something like adding low smoothing or stabilization in - and it most definitely is not that at all. Unless they are doing something they aren't telling us, then nothing is being filtered or processed - shielding is just being added to reduce external EMI at the circuit board.

If anyone out there has some actual evidence that sensitivity has decreased after the fix I'd be ultra curious to see it. It's not what I've observed myself, but if there is some decrease in sensitivity happening then we should ask Minelab to rectify that as well, but we'd need evidence that it even occurs to even start that conversation. 

• Like 2