Whites Spp Vs Whites Tdi Sl

ikaruz

hi... so... i have a whites spp, and i know that the board is the same of the whites tdi sl. i have a oportunity to buy one whites tdi sl for 1000€, does it worth change from the whites spp to the whites tdi sl? i want to use the detector to find coins, objects, hoards, etc. thanks

The differences between the two are:

1) adjustable delay -- nominally 10 microseconds to 25 microseconds on the SL; fixed at a nominal 10 microseconds on the SPP.

2) conductivity switch -- three settings on the SL -- low, high, both; fixed at 'both' on the SPP.

For coins in coke, Mark Gillespie here has turned conductivity up to 17-18 microseconds on his SL.  So there can be some advantage to the SL's delay knob in extreme conditions even hunting for coins.

Although you can use your brain to tell low from high (tones), the manual claims that there is a bit less background noise if you set the SL's switch to either low or high instead of both.  I think that's the only concrete advantage of choosing a single tone over both.

Are those enhancements worth 1000€?  Only the individual can decide that.  It's worth noting that some have claimed to have modified the SPP by adding either the conductivity switch, delay potentiometer, or both.  The SPP has pins on the circuit board (actually socket with pins) that can take a mating plug.  That's the case for both enhancements.  Thus you don't have to do any soldering on the circuit board to pull this off.  But finding that mating plug is not easy, in my experience.  However I'm pretty sure they exist; you just have to find the right electronics supplier.

Another potential option is to buy the SL and sell your SPP.

There are others here who have intimate knowledge of the electronics inside the TDI's.  Maybe they'll see this and give you a better answer than I have.

• Like 1

The only thing more you get with the SL is adjustable Pulse Delay and the Conductivity switch. Adjustable pulse delay is mostly useful to knock out low conductors like foil, otherwise you always want to run at 10us (default for SPP) for max sensitivity. The Conductivity switch just mutes one of the tones, which for coins & hoards you probably don't want to do.

Probably the SPP has everything you need. You can always add the Pulse Delay and Conductivity switch since the SPP has the same PCB as the SL.

• Like 3