A Good Start To The New Year

Bishop

That one is just beautiful! That’s just the type of specimen I would love to find, the water worn nugget with quartz like that. Good job!

Can you share a little more details about how you were using your 6000? -coil & settings used. Also, you mentioned a lot of trash, how did you deal with that with the 6000, Just dig? I hope you have a great new year, although you may have spent it already!😉

7 hours ago, Bishop said:

hit the rest of the area hard with nothing but 50 pieces of trash.

Unfortunately it is like fishing.  If you catch a fish first cast you should just go home, you ain't gonna catch no more!   

Glad your first target was a good one though 😉

• Like 4

Very nice hunting and a lot of work to get the good stuff.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe.

Gotau, the gritty soil is lightly mineralised  so i was maxed out with the stock 11 inch coil.
i am still using my homemade acrylic coil cover, works good but it starts to get heavy after 4 or 5 hours and i
think im going to get a replacement for it.
my partner was using a new Coiltek Goldhawk 10x5, i tried it a bit and it seems nice.
as for the trash. there is a lot of wire, boot tacks, bullets and brass, copper bits.
by this time next year a detectorist will come through this little wash and think it odd that there is no targets
of any kind in it.
looking at the orange iron stained quartz in it matches what is coming down the hill sides.
so hoping for a eluvium patch.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply- hope that hillside isn’t too steep, I’d be all over it!

Try pipe wrap tape for a protective cover- it’s stronger and as wide as duct tape and thicker than standard electrical tape. It’s also light enough to add extra layers to it as needed. Uglier than heck though, but that doesn’t matter!

2" x 100' 10 Mil Pipe Wrap Tape https://a.co/d/6NKHPIg

9 hours ago, Bishop said:

i am still using my homemade acrylic coil cover, works good but it starts to get heavy after 4 or 5 hours and i
think im going to get a replacement for it.

Acrylic instead of polycarbonate?  You can get polycarb in 1/32" (~0.8 mm) sheets at Amazon (for example) for pretty cheap (~$15?).  Not much weight there.  I got the idea from Steve H. and it's worked for me, as long as I choose the right adhesive to attach it....

Beautiful specimen, BTW!