White's Sierra Pulse Pro ( White's SPP )

I have been expecting this one and oddly enough I am pretty excited about it. "Why oddly" you ask?

Normally I tend to go for pure horsepower. Instead in the new White's Sierra Pulse Pro what we have is simplicity and killer bang for the buck, in a lightweight, well balanced detector. In a nutshell the Whites SPP is a TDI SL ground balancing pulse induction metal detector with the control set focused down to exactly what you need to hunt gold nuggets. And best of all White's broke through the $1000 price barrier offering the first ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) metal detector for a manufacturer suggested list price of only $995!! And that, my friends, is something to be excited about!

The only caveat is the name. Pulse Pro implies this is some kind of super powerful professional PI. Don't let that mess with you and lead you to believe the SPP is something it is not. There is nothing new here per se. But again I am excited by this detector because I am a bit tired of heavy overly complicated expensive GBPI detectors. In my opinion this is just what the market needs. A White's customer can walk out the door after cutting a deal on a GMT and SPP together and have on heck of a fantastic combo gold getting setup that will get most gold under a wide range of conditions for way less money than most single GBPI detectors currently on the market.

The SPP is locked into the hot 10uS pulse delay mode for best gold sensitivity. The conductivity switch is eliminated to insure you hear all targets, but you still get the tone responses that help identify many ferrous items. Intriguing to me is that the model comes stock with a normal 12" mono coil instead of the 12" dual field. This gives up a tad on tiny gold but offers smoother performance in bad ground and hot rocks.

Anyway, kudos to Whites. I gotta have one of these for rough and tumble detecting in extreme terrain. Only three pounds, battery and speaker included. But I will need a smaller coil for most of what I do. I wonder if White's can be talked into selling it stock with a smaller coil?

post-1-0-41787500-1398947424_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-81811100-1398947438_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Is this another Jimmie Sierra exclusive? I can't tell because the way Whites has their website set up – because I live in Arizona – whenever I try to go to their website I get sent to Jimmie Sierra.

I should be an interesting beach detector – you could detach the control box and put it in a more or less waterproof case pretty easily. The 10 ms pulse delay is shorter than the DF PI and you can use it at inland sites unlike the DF PI. If whites doesn't waterproof this darn thing themselves I have to wonder why. A relatively light waterproof case - add $300 to the price – and it seems to me that they would have a world beater here.

I assume that ML, Coiltec, ML and Nuggetfinder coils will work on it ??????

Again, this is just a repackaged White's TDI SL so there will be no surprises on performance. Plenty of field tests and reports already exist. And just like the TDI most Nugget Finder, Minelab, and Coiltek coils will work. But not all! Some non-White's coils required increasing the pulse delay to more than 10uS to work properly, and the SPP is locked into 10uS mode. So if you have the coils already no big deal but I would hate to purchase a non-White's coil specifically to use on the SPP as it may not work.

• Like 2

I noticed that the battery was only good for four hours, it must use a different batt pac than the other TDIs and many users would need two to hunt all day

The SPP uses the regular drop in battery pack same as GMT and many other Whites detectors. Comes with the eight each AA pack and NiMH rechargeable pack. And eats them for lunch! You never want to use the AA batteries unless you want to buy them by the case. I used two rechargeable packs - you can put rechargeable batteries in the AA holder.

The downside is the short running time per pack. The upside is no transportation issues like with the TDI Lithium Ion batteries. Plus you can use standard AA batteries if you have to.

The standard TDI is a high power PI using a 14.5V battery which even then does not get the best running time. The SL and SPP are a variant that has a noise suppression circuit that produces a solid even threshold. It also takes a bit of performance edge off compared to the standard TDI. This is compounded by the use of a 12V AA pack since the TDI circuit does benefit from more power. In theory the circuit can handle up to 18V http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/archive/index.php/t-68143.html

• Like 2

Apparently this is exclusive to Jimmy Sierra. It is not entirely clear if this is a one-time run of product or if this will form part of Whites regular offerings. Would seem to be more aimed at the African gold market, but who knows?

It looks like a smoking deal with the 2 coils.

• The title was changed to White's Sierra Pulse Pro ( White's SPP )