Don't Forget The Ground Stability Setting.

parkgt

Only had my D2 for about 2 weeks after swinging the D1 for about 7 years.

Today I was out testing settings on a country lot (in western AR) that had a house back in the early 1900s, aerials show it was not standing in 1957.  A few Wheats and a IH have been found along, a very ornate broach and a bridle buckle that may be CW vintage.  I wasn't getting many good signals after an hour and a half and had only been digging junk.

I got to wondering about what depth I was getting with the different custom programs I had set up so I buried a clad Dime about 10 inches deep.  None of my custom programs would give a response.  I was using the Silver Slayer,  a modified Park.  DHC 6.8, a DHC notched to 40 and a couple of others.  All with Silencer at 1, Iron at 1 or 0, Sensitvity in the high 90s  Reactivity .5 to 1.  The ground grab was consistently at 78.

I was very baffled by this so I thought what other setting could I adjust.  It then dawned on me that I had never adjusted Ground Stability.  So I went from 2 down to 1.  The Silver Slayer program rang out loud and clear.  The DHC got it but not as cleanly, Relic barely, and a modified Park not at all.

The ID was down in the 50s which concerned me, no adjustment to the notching brought it back into the 80s or above.  When notching the DHC to 80 it disappeared completely.

I decided to dig it up and try a shallower depth to try to learn more.  When I pulled the plug and got the MI-6 out I discovered  that there were two old nails in the hole.

I reburied the Dime about 5" deep and it rang up in the low 90s.  Once again, the SS program rang out the best of my custom programs considering my settings. At that point I called it a day.

Makes me wonder wonder what i missed with Ground Stability at the default of 2.

Any thought about this experience would be appreciated?

• Like 6

Here's a video on the subject, but that's an interesting thought. 👍

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2o0sCHfsPs

• Like 2

Really interesting,  thanks. I've never changed mine from default either... can't wait to check it out. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Here's a video on the subject, but that's an interesting thought. 👍

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2o0sCHfsPs

Thanks for the link.  There seems to be very little written about this setting.  I don't recall any videos about it and no tests showing it's effect. 

I will have to do some more experimenting on my own to try to better understand what result are gotten by lowering it and if it interacts with any other settings.

If others have anything to add please chime in.

8 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

There's very little written about the ground stability setting because it shouldn't make a big difference on target acquisition except in mineralized soils that have variable ground conductivity.

Ground stability settings are not available in the beach/dive/relic/gold field modes.

Ground stability settings need to be set individually for each mode that has the setting available.

Ground stability can be set to 1, 2, or 3.  The default is "2" for all modes except Park where it is "3".

Basically, its a ground feedback filter:

1 - This removes all ground feedback filtering other than rejecting the ground signal based on the ground grab or manual ground balance setting.  This setting allows you to hear it all and might improve your ability to hear faint signals, especially in mineralized ground that raises the balance point above your established ground balance setting.  However, you will be bombarded by ground feedback "micro" changes in ground conductivity due to pockets of mineralization, bricks, ceramics etc. especially if running with little discrimination.  I believe it also increases coil bump sensitivity.  

2 - Mostly rejects ground variations above the ground grab setting but there is some signal processing secret sauce that still enables the machine to still detect targets in high mineralization conditions (conditions that locally raise the ground conductivity above the balance point).

3- Maximum filtering applied to quiet ground feedback due to ground conductivity variations and also minimizes coil bump sensitivity.  It is the "quietest" ride, but you might miss some faint targets as a result depending on ground conditions.

As with all of these things, YMMV and experimentation to see what works best for your local conditions is the best course.  I don't think you can really handicap depth or faint target sensitivity significantly unless you go to "3", and then only for certain soil conditions and targets.

HTH

Once again Chase, a very concise and easy to understand post on the ground stability feature!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

There's very little written about the ground stability setting other than what is in the Deus 2 manual because it shouldn't make a big difference on target acquisition except in mineralized soils that have variable ground conductivity.

Thanks for 'splaining this Chase, the video was the best I could find on the subject. 🙂 My posting that link was to caution some about thinking it would be a "magic setting" or something, a lot needs to be taken into account before changing it. 👍

• Like 2

Lol... where the heck do I find it in that menu?