Don't Forget The Ground Stability Setting.

parkgt

I did many depth tests with D2 and the ground stabilizer set on 1 is very important to increase depth. My custom program for mineralized soils has ground stabilizer set on 1 and also  another custom program for mild soils. On a field with mild soil, very wet and with phase tending towards saline, D2 was a little unstable: setting ground stabilizer on 2, I hunted with a fine, stable machine. Ground stabilizer is very important to increase depth, to improve recognizing faint signals  but also to hunt with a very stable machine: more depth with stabilizer on 1 and more stability setting it on 2...or 3. I agree with Chase Goldman and confirm that with stabilizer set on 1 machine is more sensitive to coil bumps. I know pefectly that depth is not the most important metal detecting fact but I like to test also the absolute power of machines and so I often arrange depth tests: ground stabilizer set on 1 is basilar to increase depth. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ogliuga said:

I did many depth tests with D2 and the ground stabilizer set on 1 is very important to increase depth. My custom program for mineralized soils has ground stabilizer set on 1 and also  another custom program for mild soils.

At what reading do you consider the soil to be mineralized?

Here I have a big hematite area and the mineralization strenght bar is full. Readings are on seventies and sometimes on early eighties. It’s a really hot soil, red dirt..

1619E63D-2764-4DB5-A186-5E897735F11A.jpeg.cdff5a084afabecddd7fed5476313f13.jpeg

• Like 3

I gave it a shot today, and very shortly thereafter switched it back to 2. I was using the WS6 Master, it's easier to get to the setting as it's in the main menu. 

What it did was give me phantom high tones, many times a 99, and there wasn't anything but iron there if anything at all. It did indeed also make the Deus more bump sensitive.

I wasn't impressed, and definitely would not recommend changing it unless special conditions are realized. Watch the video for advice!

• Like 4

Doesn’t XP say in the manual that most detectors with a ground stability setting won’t even let you adjust the ground stability to the equivalent of setting 1 on the d2?   Something like, that setting is for very experienced users?  I’m going from memory here so please excuse me if I have this totally wrong.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

What it did was give me phantom high tones, many times a 99, and there wasn't anything but iron there if anything at all. It did indeed also make the Deus more bump sensitive.

Interesting, I have not encountered either of those problems.  I haven't been in stubble or a lot of iron though.

Although I won't use it routinely for general searching, there are times that I may want to see if anything is a little further down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Doesn’t XP say in the manual that most detectors with a ground stability setting won’t even let you adjust the ground stability to the equivalent of setting 1 on the d2?   Something like, that setting is for very experienced users?  I’m going from memory here so please excuse me if I have this totally wrong.  

Yes, that’s right. Level 1 accepts ground level above the ground value grabbed. I’m not a veteran but I feel good with jitter and instability. In fact, the only thing I miss about D1 is its “chattering”. D2 is much more stable.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 5:24 PM, parkgt said:

Only had my D2 for about 2 weeks after swinging the D1 for about 7 years.

Today I was out testing settings on a country lot (in western AR) that had a house back in the early 1900s, aerials show it was not standing in 1957.  A few Wheats and a IH have been found along, a very ornate broach and a bridle buckle that may be CW vintage.  I wasn't getting many good signals after an hour and a half and had only been digging junk.

I got to wondering about what depth I was getting with the different custom programs I had set up so I buried a clad Dime about 10 inches deep.  None of my custom programs would give a response.  I was using the Silver Slayer,  a modified Park.  DHC 6.8, a DHC notched to 40 and a couple of others.  All with Silencer at 1, Iron at 1 or 0, Sensitvity in the high 90s  Reactivity .5 to 1.  The ground grab was consistently at 78.

I was very baffled by this so I thought what other setting could I adjust.  It then dawned on me that I had never adjusted Ground Stability.  So I went from 2 down to 1.  The Silver Slayer program rang out loud and clear.  The DHC got it but not as cleanly, Relic barely, and a modified Park not at all.

The ID was down in the 50s which concerned me, no adjustment to the notching brought it back into the 80s or above.  When notching the DHC to 80 it disappeared completely.

I decided to dig it up and try a shallower depth to try to learn more.  When I pulled the plug and got the MI-6 out I discovered  that there were two old nails in the hole.

I reburied the Dime about 5" deep and it rang up in the low 90s.  Once again, the SS program rang out the best of my custom programs considering my settings. At that point I called it a day.

Makes me wonder wonder what i missed with Ground Stability at the default of 2.

Any thought about this experience would be appreciated?

I've basically ran solely in 1 on any program since go! I have one site rough soil or I assume so if I use 1 it's insanity on my ear canal. 3 bars on minimal meter. Certainly makes a big difference imo

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 8:51 AM, Ogliuga said:

Yes, that’s right. Level 1 accepts ground level above the ground value grabbed. I’m not a veteran but I feel good with jitter and instability. In fact, the only thing I miss about D1 is its “chattering”. D2 is much more stable.

What if you have tracking enabled? Does it ramp up and down and follow the tracking ?