Whites TDI SL Or TDI Pro Or White’s Spp?

sarix

Yes, Bob..Mike (karelian) down in Australia has done some great tests. My results are right inline with his. And, I do have the 16v+ battery pack. I bought my first one, but then built another. I've also done the circuit mods...both #1 for sweep speed, and #2 for sensitivity. There is a 3rd also, which I still plan on doing, which also increases the sensitivity. I also added vernier control knobs to mine, on both the ground Balance, and Threshold. That makes it easy to precisely adjust both.

Jim

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Whites TDI SL Or TDI Pro Or White’s Spp?

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

It would be appropriate to either link to the original post that contained this plot or give credit in words to the person who created it.  

Thanks, I edited my post to credit the OP as well as directly link any viewers to the thread in which he kindly posted his results.

My failure to observe this courtesy was inadvertent, though obviously discourteous to the gentleman.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Yes, Bob..Mike (karelian) down in Australia has done some great tests. My results are right inline with his. And, I do have the 16v+ battery pack. I bought my first one, but then built another. I've also done the circuit mods...both #1 for sweep speed, and #2 for sensitivity. There is a 3rd also, which I still plan on doing, which also increases the sensitivity. I also added vernier control knobs to mine, on both the ground Balance, and Threshold. That makes it easy to precisely adjust both.

Jim

Very cool. I have not seen or used the SL, but I know they are better balanced and of course lighter.

On the original TDI, if you have not used one, the ground balance and threshold are not all that sensitive to need a vernier or "fine tune" control, so I guess Whites altered the TDI to create the TDI SL is many ways.

Not sure if the original TDI has had mods to make it a better or more sensitive detector as I have not seen any mentioned on the Forums. I've heard of the TDI Pro, TDI Beachmaster, and the TDI 'OZ,' but I know nothing of these sub-models technically.

Thanks again,

Bob

PS I received an email from Miner John, and he no longer makes coils for the TDI, and cautioned that the 6X8 Sadie coil is GREAT for the Minelab machines, but performs rather poorly on the TDI. I don't know how that compares to your results. So many variables in such tests.

He recommended a Miner John 12X8 Folded Mono MJD for the TDI if I could find one used on the Internet as being superior to others available. (Not sure what MJD means, though).

Interesting. I've never seen a poor test result, on any of the TDI models, that showed the Sadie being anything but near the top of the list for small gold, and one of the best at moderate depth. Have no idea what Mj is talking about. I know my experience, and testing, of the MJ 5 x 9 was disappointing. So much so that I sold it. I do use a MJ 8 x 11, however, which I have found superior to the 12" DF with my machines. Maybe MJ never tested the TDI SL with a 16v battery pack.

Jim

• Like 2

When using the Tdi SL or SPP, for maximum sensitivity remember to slow down the sweep speed. When first starting at a new location I always use the 1 grain ingot to fine tune the setting. Once the machine is setup for the location I can focus on coil control and sweep speed until muscle memory takes over. All the best.

• Like 4