Nox 900 Tid Stability

I have only given the Nox 900 a run through my meager test garden to check out features and operability of my replacement 900 following a defect in the Horseshoe button of my original unit.  I am solely detecting using my 10x5 Coiltek NOX coil right now.  I fully expected reduced stability with respect to Target ID with the expanded Target ID range on the Nox 900, but it seems excessive on certain test targets.   Specifically for "deeper" mid-conductors (deeper is in quotes because I am only using a 10x5 coil, so these targets are not all that deep). I am talking large variations in TID, almost random numbers with a few repeating numbers that appear to correspond to the "correct" TID.  I am getting a solid audio target hit (I am using dP tones).  Very shallow high conductors are better (not rock solid, but 2-3 digit variation).   I am just putting this out there right now for comment from other Nox 900 users.  This is just a very preliminary observation and I am withholding any judgment or conclusions until I see how Nox 900 behaves in the "real" world this week. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I have only given the Nox 900 a run through my meager test garden to check out features and operability of my replacement 900 following a defect in the Horseshoe button of my original unit.  I am solely detecting using my 10x5 Coiltek NOX coil right now.  I fully expected reduced stability with respect to Target ID with the expanded Target ID range on the Nox 900, but it seems excessive on certain test targets.   Specifically for "deeper" mid-conductors (deeper is in quotes because I am only using a 10x5 coil, so these targets are not all that deep). I am talking large variations in TID, almost random numbers with a few repeating numbers that appear to correspond to the "correct" TID.  I am getting a solid audio target hit (I am using dP tones).  Very shallow high conductors are better (not rock solid, but 2-3 digit variation).   I am just putting this out there right now for comment from other Nox 900 users.  This is just a very preliminary observation and I am withholding and judgment or conclusions until I see how Nox 900 behaves in the "real" world this week. 

I am seeing this with centerfire shell casings and shot gun head stamps when they have different metals for their casings, primer rings and primer caps. I am also seeing it on some corroded rimfire shell casings, alloyed corroded lead fragments and especially USA zinc pennies. These targets need to be at least 4" deep in the dirt I am testing them in which is half to three quarters full Deus 2 iron mineralization dirt for this instability to really get extreme.  The target ID spread is pretty big and If I am using 5 tones, the tones will definitely cross over tone breaks. Also, getting iron responses on these deeper targets.........

By the way, Deus 2 and the Legend also react similarly to these targets but not as wide of a span of target IDs both in the same testing area and in the field.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I assume the TID spread is tighter on less alloyed/corroded targets like Clad or Silver coins?

Just now, Chase Goldman said:

Definitely not an issue on high conductors - but I am also seeing it on a buried minie ball. Weird.  I need to test more in the "wild".

1800s Minie balls were basically pure lead right? So it is weird. 

Maybe it is just our nasty dirt Chase. I haven't been able to get this to happen in the milder (low magnetite) dirt samples I have used for testing.

US nickels, gold coins, gold nuggets, non-weathered brass rimfire shell casings, wheat pennies, memorial pennies,  other USA clad and silver coins/jewelry seem to be fine so far. 

• Like 4

That behavior( if not too extreme) could be useful coin hunting to tell how pure the metal is,  but on Relics I want a central number in-between the wild swings to give me an educated guess.

• Like 4

Nokta's new Legend Beta software update has new bottle cap reject settings and a higher iron filter setting (9) that may help identify brass shell casings and shotgun head stamps with steel primer rings.........

Minelab may need to dig deeper into this too.

These detectors are so good at latching onto alloys and corrosion but their ability to decide on the "best" ID........????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a fan of the 99 target ID's to begin with, I liked the compressed Nox 800 ID's better. But that just my preference. On the Nox 800 you could expect of spread of 2-3 at the most. But on the 900 I'm seeing as much as a 10 number difference one way or the other. High conductors are not the issue I've dug several 12" quarters and a half at the beach that were within 1 or 2 numbers of what they read in the air. Nickels on the other hand have been all over the place 23-29 at depth. But it really is no concern to me as I don't park hunt much and I'm going to dig practically anything that is a positive number beach, gold or relic hunting.

• Like 7

Question about dp tones, can you select any tone numbers (1,2,5, all)  in dp?   I switched from all tones to 5 on the 800 because of too much fluctuation for me.   This would really be an earful in all tones, thanks.

• Like 1