Nox 900 Tid Stability

1 hour ago, abenson said:

But it really is no concern to me as I don't park hunt much and I'm going to dig practically anything that is a positive number beach, gold or relic hunting.

That's where I'm at too Andy.  If I get a solid tonal hit and mostly mid scale non-ferrous TIDs I'm digging it.  It is just really in stark contrast in what I am used to on the D2, and of course, the 800.

• Like 1

Stable tid numbers are very helpful and increase my hunting enjoyment I am a long term nox 800 user.  I like to refer to them,  if they vary by 2 to 3 numbers over a target that gives a good indication that the target is not round or could be a small target at depth also in areas that I hunt coins if they are not at great depth generally lock on to one tid number. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Nokta's new Legend Beta software update has new bottle cap reject settings and a higher iron filter setting (9) that may help identify brass shell casings and shotgun head stamps with steel primer rings.........

Minelab may need to dig deeper into this too.

These detectors are so good at latching onto alloys and corrosion but their ability to decide on the "best" ID........????

The new Nokta bottle cap setting may only be effective on modern shotshell heads that are plated steel,(as noted by Jeff) not on older all brass ones that TID about a 5 Cent Nickel or a little higher. We will see.  I've dug a lot of very old corroded ones that bounce around just like the corroded V & Buffalo Nickels do also.

You are so right about these newer detectors being so good at reading how alloyed/corroded a target is whether by Tone,  2D TT or or other visual aid. That is why we do not always see rock solid TIDs, the detector is too good to stay in that old box. Figuring out how to use all this information is the challenge.

All these newer Top tier detectors are very close to each other in performance & the competition is so keen, each improvement by one spurs the others. We are a fortunate bunch of fanatics.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2023 at 10:21 AM, abenson said:

I'm not a fan of the 99 target ID's to begin with, I liked the compressed Nox 800 ID's better. But that just my preference. On the Nox 800 you could expect of spread of 2-3 at the most. But on the 900 I'm seeing as much as a 10 number difference one way or the other.

I was perfectly happy with the TID setup on the EQX800 too. Shame ML didn't offer a user option to select either the original Equinox TID layout, or the new expanded TID layout. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JCR said:

The new Nokta bottle cap setting may only be effective on modern shotshell heads that are plated steel,(as noted by Jeff) not on older all brass ones that TID about a 5 Cent Nickel or a little higher. We will see.  I've dug a lot of very old corroded ones that bounce around just like the corroded V & Buffalo Nickels do also.

This is also right around where the U.S. $5 gold coin IDs as well, so we dig shotgun shells.  They (and other small arms discards) are to relic hunters what pull-tabs are to turf hunters 💣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It always amazes me how high a really corroded, deep .22 cal short cartridge case can TID,  and sound good too.

12 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I was perfectly happy with the TID setup on the EQX800 too. Shame ML didn't offer a user option to select either the original Equinox TID layout, or the new expanded TID layout. 

Yep at least with the 800 I knew when I got a 13 it was either a nickel or an ax head 🤣

strick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 1:21 PM, abenson said:

I'm not a fan of the 99 target ID's to begin with, I liked the compressed Nox 800 ID's better. But that just my preference. On the Nox 800 you could expect of spread of 2-3 at the most. But on the 900 I'm seeing as much as a 10 number difference one way or the other. High conductors are not the issue I've dug several 12" quarters and a half at the beach that were within 1 or 2 numbers of what they read in the air. Nickels on the other hand have been all over the place 23-29 at depth. But it really is no concern to me as I don't park hunt much and I'm going to dig practically anything that is a positive number beach, gold or relic hunting.

I have to believe there will be a software fix for the unstable spread TID numbers for the 900. That's just too much spread for a target reading. My 800 spread of maybe 2 numbers is fine in my book. My AT Pro also shows 1 or 2 numbers on a 99 number scale. If “ancient” AT Pro technology can produce a tight TID on a 99 scale, one would think state of the art 900 technology could/should be able to do the same on a 99 scale. A 10 number difference is not acceptable.

• Like 4

I have no idea who recommended or wanted 119 target IDs for the Nox 700/900 opposed to 50 for the Nox 600/800.

On the surface it seems like a great idea to have more target IDs especially more non-ferrous low to mid conductor target IDs. Nox 600/800 was 1 to 20 and Nox 700/900 is 1 to 60. So that's a ton of low to mid conductor target IDs on the 700/900 between tiny foil/micro gold jewelry/tiny nuggets to USA zinc pennies. 

However, this wide 60 digit range of IDs instead of 20 for the same targets on the 600/800 at least for USA hunters is almost overkill. Nokta got it just about right with their 11 to 40 range with their 30 digit range for the same targets.

Maybe there needs to be a stability update.......don't know yet since recovering deeper targets where I live right now would require heavy equipment or at least a jack hammer......

• Like 5

8 hours ago, strick said:

Yep at least with the 800 I knew when I got a 13 it was either a nickel or an ax head 🤣

strick

Well there is that, but you could sometimes tell as a nickel or similar conductor sounded bright and "excited" vs. an ax head or other large iron implements that tend to have a dull sound.  Either way I still dig 13s 🎅

• Like 1