You Ever Do This?

20 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I keep an Excel spreadsheet with lots of information (date, # hrs detected, detector+coil used, weather, location, finds + running total of different coin find categories).  When I go West I do keep zip-lock bags of relic finds, and when I'm 'on top of my game' I put an index card in saying where they were found.

But I also have way too much junk/trash finds that need to be pared down....

Chuck A., I do try to leave the dirt out, though....  🤔

I'm with GB_Amateur and also use an Excel spreadsheet with all the infos where the find was done, which detector/coil combo was used, depth and mostly an photo of the item and yes, zip-lock bags are used to store the goodies and giving them to the archaeologists with an index in the bag.

Nice thread btw, Ridge Runner.👍😎

• Like 3

I do the picture route. It has the finds (good and bad), the detector used, and the amount of time spent. That is the reason I put that information on the pictures I post here. They then go into a folder with the date of the hunt. If my hard drive dies, I'm toast 😄 But long term for my beach hunts, I put all the total coins and jewelry into plastic bins with the beach labeled on each. My relics I just put in boxes or display cases. Important hunts, I have bagged them and labeled the place where found. When I die, no one will care and the kids will Coinstar everything 😲...😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I stick my finds in my pocket and wonder why they never made it home.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

George,

Check in the bottom of the washing machine tub.

• Haha 4
  • Thanks 1

When I started detecting the trash was the clad coins.

I don’t get to hunt now as much as I like but I don’t think I’ll ever stop completely.

For all the years I’ve been detecting it has never been for the money. It’s always been for the adventure of what my next find will be .

People I remember would ask how much can a person find in one. I’d tell them if you get out and hunt often you could find 600.00 to a 1000.00 a year. I’d say that was about my average back when. 
 I always told them they would have to put out money to buy their first detector but if they will really get out and hunt they’ll find enough to pay for the next one.

Today I buy too many detectors so I shot that down of doing that anymore.

Chuck 

PS some may say that’s a lots to be found in one year and some may find more than that but I have gone 6 months are more seeing no one detecting.

• Like 5

On 1/9/2023 at 2:40 PM, GB_Amateur said:

I keep an Excel spreadsheet with lots of information (date, # hrs detected, detector+coil used, weather, location, finds + running total of different coin find categories). 

This is exactly what I keeping telling myself I'm gonna do...

But seriously, I do need to start a Google Sheet project like this to better track finds. I have about 40 hours in now between the Nox 800 and Legend, and I'm expanding beyond just my yard, friends' yards, and local parks and schools. The finds are diversifying in terms of count and content, and it will be super-useful for reference and planning to formally track variables like machine used, weather, and time spent.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The jar with the rancid whale oil?

There are some exceptions, and the smell is still in one part of the back yard. Just can't get rid of it no matter what we put on it.

• Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

16 hours ago, JCR said:

George,

Check in the bottom of the washing machine tub.

I have a crank handle washing machine thingie. It substitutes as a bathing tub. Problem being I can't get my fat arse in it. I wonder if GoLo will work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Kinsey said:

I have a crank handle washing machine thingie. It substitutes as a bathing tub. Problem being I can't get my fat arse in it. I wonder if GoLo will work?

You are suppose to take the wringer off to use it as a bath tub.

I took baths like that as a kid when we first got our cabin out in the country. I think it builds character? Anyway everyone should do it at least once when it is cold outside.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1