" Mining " Platinum From The Road

Ok, not gold or prospecting technically, but this kid has some real creative ideas. Remember the "gold from home depot sandbags" idea that hit the forums a few years ago? Well similarly, turns out you can also get platinum from the roads. He goes through a pretty simple fire assay demonstration too for any who wonder how it works. An interesting channel for those who enjoy vids - he's also reopening up his grandpas old hard rock mine, doing single jacking by hand, making his own charges, etc I find it all pretty interesting and entertaining to follow along with.

• Like 4

That was interesting stuff, I was disappointed with his results until he did the gpt calculations and it showed 6.7 gpt, that's high grade lol.

I bought two catalytic converters last year for the same crappy car lol, so I'd say the best place by far for this insane mining idea would be Ca because the smog laws here make you buy so many catalytic converters to pass the smog. The first one I bought and had installed for $600 failed right off the bat, probably blowing the material all over the freeway:) so there probably more platinum on the freeways out here than other states. Personally this technique isn't for me; too many chemicals, fire, cars to get hit by or other ways I'd get hurt but I enjoyed the video, he's definitely a smart guy when it comes to the science and metallurgy.

• Like 1

Actually a pretty nice little bead he got for what looked like just a bucket of material he swept up. Hmmm, makes me think you could fashion some sort of a vacuum system on your car that would vacuum up fine road dust as you are driving, with a screen on it so you would only pick up the extra fine particles. When you get home from work you've got a container of fines in your trunk you could process.. Fun video. (I can see you are exploring some creative prospecting ideas now that you are back in Wyoming Jason. :biggrin:)

It makes the gears turn... My initial thought was similar to your, but about dredging and some kind of passive venturi system to vaccum stuff up - air is forced into an intake as the vehicle moves and causes suction on a downward facing nozzle which discharges into a container in the pickup bed - just like a suction nozzle or jet on a dredge. A road dredge! :biggrin: Totally passive and just powered by the moving air as you drive. Just gather platinum as you drive to and from work, not bad... Ok now, which state will be the first to ban road dredging??? :blink::laugh:

If I ever find time away from work now to start building stuff I'll give it a try for fun.

That little bead came just from the 150 grams he put in the crucible too. Then you also have the silver and other PGM's left over that can be refined and sold too.

Yeah, not much gold here in Wyoming and its all in a few small places that are heavily claimed so gotta expand horizons haha. 

Must be a environmental grant available to kick start such a project, no way would road dredging be banned then.

Jason,

Thanks for the video, I have seen his videos before, they are real interesting. He has a lot of prospecting and even a video on making a meteorite thin section...

Dave