Garrett AT Pro Rookie

Rick357

Welcome from East Texas.  The AT Pro is a good machine.

• Like 1

If your new to the AT Pro the stock coil will be ok for most situations. I am looking to snag a viper coil for mine. Another alternative is the 5x8 for trashy areas.

Good iron break point for relic hunting is 32-33 or where an old iron cut nail just breaks. Use pro audio.

The AT Pro tends to ground balance on the high side so I often ground balance then manually drop it down about 5 ie if it is 90 ill drop it to 85. This will help on depth and squeak out an extra inch or so.

Lastly you can keep iron audo off and use it if you have some jumpy numbers to iron check targets. Larger iron and flat iron like washers can give higher numbers and iron audio will give you a grunt to confirm this.

Happy Hunting!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

If your new to the AT Pro the stock coil will be ok for most situations. I am looking to snag a viper coil for mine. Another alternative is the 5x8 for trashy areas.

Good iron break point for relic hunting is 32-33 or where an old iron cut nail just breaks. Use pro audio.

The AT Pro tends to ground balance on the high side so I often ground balance then manually drop it down about 5 ie if it is 90 ill drop it to 85. This will help on depth and squeak out an extra inch or so.

Lastly you can keep iron audo off and use it if you have some jumpy numbers to iron check targets. Larger iron and flat iron like washers can give higher numbers and iron audio will give you a grunt to confirm this.

Happy Hunting!

Thanks for the welcomed advice. I live on a 200+ year old farm yard & it is full of every kind of metal imaginable. In some places the pinpointer goes off just by touching it to the ground. That’s why I retired my Ace 250 & bought the AT Pro with stock coil. I’m finding a  lot higher class of trash now.

• Like 5

It does sound like the 5"X8" coil would be very useful to you.

Setting iron break at 33 should eliminate the iron trash like nails and smaller. This still keeps the better stuff.

40-50 can be bits of coal and coke, thin brass, foil, can slaw and high end gold chains, med size earings, pendands, rings. Nickels break at about 52 but not uncommon to have them come in lower depending on orientation in ground. Beefy 10k rose gold can be higher.

Coppers will run as high at 92 (large cent)

Silvers range from 58-60 (trime) through 90 (silver half dollar)

With a lot of trash you can cherry pick your way through using the notch discrim and make passes over the area but don't notch too close to desired target range.

Lastly, numbers can vary quite a bit if there are other targets the machine is sensing at the same time so in high iron trash areas try to hit targets from different angles and when in doubt, dig.

HH

• Like 1