13 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Spent the day at the farm where I found the Scottish sixpence today, big farm with small hotspots. One of the most unusual things about this place is that despite finding a lot of really old relics in two places, not a single button has been found. This probably means it was detected by others. But, they did leave some interesting stuff behind!20230110_104039.thumb.jpg.de70973697f1b104f8ebc01a2ecee12a.jpg

Got there early, it was about 30 degrees and there was a frost, but it was easy to dig, and by the end of the day it got up to around 50. I invited Chase down to see the place and give him a shot at what could be there, I only scouted it so it wasn't hammered by me. I did find some great stuff before but there was more.

Used the RC and 13" for a while waiting for Chase, when he arrived I switched to the WS6 Master with the 9". What a difference. πŸ˜€ Just swinging the 13" for 2-1/2 hours got kinda tiring today, and I didn't find anything at all but buck balls. I also tested ground stabilizer a bit but quickly changed back to my original settings. Not here!

We walked toward the hilltop where I found the sixpence and found some stuff on the side of the hill, here's my haul for the day:20230110_183444.thumb.jpg.86bdbdd798bbe2f0211fbd65619ac0ea.jpg

2 spectacle halves that don't seem to fit together, a single buckle identical to my first find in this field. A pewter spoon handle end, some more buckle bits and a bag seal of some sort.

The most interesting thing I dug today (not that 1600s buckles are uninteresting πŸ˜€) was the knob on the left, it's knurled and has a pin on the back. Exactly half the alphabet on the front from n-z. πŸ€” I wonder what it was used for?20230110_183454.thumb.jpg.333a5fe2a21882a8308d911b413c2f2f.jpg

Hope on a return visit I find the other one 🀣 probably won't.20230110_181355.thumb.jpg.c232d36ec949bcb11fa1f40e056662d3.jpg

Gotta say it was a pretty trashy day too, buck balls and bullets mostly. A couple of square nails got me too.

It was fun hunting with Chase, and he did pretty well. There really isn't much in these 100 acres.

Those are some great finds! Β  I’d love to find stuff that old around here. Β That round knob reminds me of a knob from safe. Β 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Those are some great finds! Β  I’d love to find stuff that old around here. Β That round knob reminds me of a knob from safe. Β 

Thanks NC!

Stuff like this is in most of my permissions. Just no silver 😡 well, some. I have easily found as many spectacle buckles or parts as I have Spanish silver, but more buckles than silver US currency. These hit in the 50s and 60s on the Deus, so I think most people would skip them! I shouldn't be blasé about it.

That's what I thought too about the knob, it's too well cast and too heavy to be some kinda cipher toy for a kid. Since there'd be another knob it would be a pretty silly combination. There's some math involved but two letters should be fairly easy to crack. πŸ˜€ Very unusual find.

I'm sure there is more to be found, it takes covering a lot of ground with some really long silent gaps. You have to dig the buckshot if you want any of this stuff. πŸ™„Β 

I think the most strange thing is that we haven't found any old buttons here. We even joked about it, maybe it was a bunch of Scotsmen mincing about nekkid making buckshot. 🀣 

• Like 1

Great buckles!

Your dial is reminiscent of one of those old mailbox combination dials or something along those lines.

• Like 6

Another nice hunt and would bet that there are more coins yet to be found there. I think that we will be hearing back in the future that you have found either more silver or very old coins.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Your dial is reminiscent of one of those old mailbox combination dials or something along those lines.

Β 

1 hour ago, Againstmywill said:

I had the same thought.

Thanks! That's exactly what it is. A post office box combination knob. πŸ‘

Now what the heck was it doing in the middle of a farm about 10 miles from the nearest post office? πŸ€” 🀣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another successful relic hunt for you Virginia boys.

My WAG on the knob is that it's from a school desk.Β  (Not seeing the PO box since those knobs are simple and the lettering is on the door itself, right?Β  Maybe I missed the appropriate photo....)

You seem to find quite a bit of pewter items.Β  That's something I haven't found much of (if any).Β  Makes me wonder if it was more common early on in this country (and/or colonies) that was replaced before much of the 'West' (west of the Appalachians) occurred.

Did you do anything to the pewter spoon handle bit to make it look this good?

Interesting is your experience with the new large XP coil.Β  Known for its physical ease of use (swinging, etc.), once you replace the small(er) coils you apparently lose that ergonomic property?Β  Balance thrown way off?

I found the following a mix of humor and head scratchiness:

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

There really isn't much in these 100 acres.

Β 

• Like 1

More great and unusual finds, F350! If the button meister isn't finding buttons, the field must have been detected hard back in the day, or you just haven't found the hord yet. Oddly enough, a buddy of mine found a mason jar full of buttons at a 1800s site, so it could happen. 😏 I look forward to your next adventure. 

• Like 3