10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! That's exactly what it is. A post office box combination knob. 👍

Now what the heck was it doing in the middle of a farm about 10 miles from the nearest post office? 🤔 🤣

Always amazes me what we find and where, lots of head scratchers out there haha

On 1/11/2023 at 11:45 AM, rvpopeye said:

What?  Chase didn't find the other knob that has A through P on it ? 🙄 

No, I was too busy digging up my silver Rosie.  :laugh:

Enjoyed the dig and coffee as usual.  Dug a LOT of targets but only a few keepers.  Old lead and brass.  An older unidentified .45 caliber dropped lead round a bunch of smashed musket balls and melted lead and one carved lead thing below the .45 cal round.  A couple of plated (silver?) pieces of buttons and buckles and a nice oval Colonial era buckle.  I did dig one button but it was a snap button for a set of overalls.  Dime is '46 with no mint mark. 

20230111_154118.thumb.jpg.2cfaf76a45ab1accd7ddbfd1219bd456.jpg20230111_154142.thumb.jpg.151daf4a40d5bcb9c496360ec95eee1d.jpg20230110_140534.thumb.jpg.1e95d32f6a3f9e7ab15ef1485464eff4.jpg

Couldn't get the new Nox 900 to quiet down even in this expansive field and sensitivity set as low as 16.  So I abandoned it and went with the trusty Deus 2 which was purring along with sensitivity at 93/100.  Will have to figure out what that was all about.

20230110_140551.thumb.jpg.86ac1a8041c169570c8617ee35114fde.jpg

Yep, that's Bob along the tree line digging Colonial pull tabs.  Great time.

20230111_102510.thumb.jpg.bafc5cb89b741217d0b4811b02dbbd7d.jpg

My big trash not counting all the fired modern bullets, casings, and buck shot.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Did you do anything to the pewter spoon handle bit to make it look this good?

Thanks GB, all I did with the spoon handle was rinse it off with water. Cleaned up nice. Wish I got more of it tho. That's all I do with all my finds now. I use a mesh sorter pan and just hose em down. I think that's the first pewter handle, most I find are copper.

Interesting is your experience with the new large XP coil.  Known for its physical ease of use (swinging, etc.), once you replace the small(er) coils you apparently lose that ergonomic property?  Balance thrown way off?

I originally put an 11" coil centering device on the 13", ended up breaking two of them. Not so much the fault of the printer but my bad for using the wrong one. 😀 Recently I had a friend create a custom one and it works much better. I don't swap coils, I have a WS6 Master rig using the original shaft that weighs less than 2 pounds with the 9" on it un-centered. It's so light I don't notice any balance problem. The 13" is on SteveG's custom D2 shaft with the fancy new centering device. I had to buy a nylon bolt for it because the XP bolt is way too weak to be used for any sort of clamping force. With Steve's shaft the 13" wouldn't even stay up, the centering device helps. I'm going to talk to him at some point for suggestions as to how to keep it tight.

I've got the 11" coil too, don't really see a need for it now.

I found the following a mix of humor and head scratchiness:

Haha, I'm the king of gross generalizations and fuzzy logic! 🤣

What I mean is you walk huge distances in this field and hear absolutely nothing, them bam. There are 3 hotspots, none more than an acre or so out of 100. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

More great and unusual finds, F350! If the button meister isn't finding buttons, the field must have been detected hard back in the day, or you just haven't found the hord yet. Oddly enough, a buddy of mine found a mason jar full of buttons at a 1800s site, so it could happen. 😏 I look forward to your next adventure. 

Thanks Cap'n! My next adventure is about to be posted 😀

We think this field has been cherry picked, but they left some of the oldest stuff behind! Shows ya what good cherry picking does.

Your friend must have danced a jig on that find, I'm stuck finding them one by one. 😀 Rumor has it that a guy buried jars of coins in a farm near this one, but no one has found them.

• Like 2

Post hole banking was very common once upon a time.

• Like 2

Congrats — Amazing how things end up in the middle of nowhere at times.  Think all of us has been there before left wondering where in the heck.  No rhyme or reason.  Maybe it was a heist at the post office.  I swung the D2 9” today to it was a nice break on my arm n back compared to my MJ 8x14 on my Pulse and a heavy sand scoop slung over my shoulder.  Now I get why everyone is going to the lighter machines.  My back was happy today.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PI-Man said:

Congrats — Amazing how things end up in the middle of nowhere at times.  Think all of us has been there before left wondering where in the heck.  No rhyme or reason.  Maybe it was a heist at the post office.  I swung the D2 9” today to it was a nice break on my arm n back compared to my MJ 8x14 on my Pulse and a heavy sand scoop slung over my shoulder.  Now I get why everyone is going to the lighter machines.  My back was happy today.

Thanks!

At least my arms don't lock up in the shower. 😀 For a serious experience look into the WS6 Master rig, insanely light with the 9". And I thought I was doing good with the Equinox, 10x5 and a CF shaft.

I think you did yourself a favor getting a Deus, I'm guessing by the end of this year it will stand as top dog, sorry y'all. It ain't a PI, but it finds stuff well. Less digging too.

I'm lucky here because if stuff isn't in the first 8-10", it's probably on its way to Australia, and out of reach. Sand. I'll take what I can get in the loam/clay layer. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kac said:

There might have been a midden nearby.

There are all kinds of mounds in the woods around the cellar hole, I'll have to look again with some implements of destruction. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look it over on Lidar see if there were out buildings in the area, might been a dump near one that has been long torn down and plowed over when they rotated crops.

• Like 2