A Lot Of Holes Don't Get Fill In

19 hours ago, blackjack said:

A bumper sticker I recently saw sums it up for me " I love shooting deer and drinking beer " a dangerous mix that can only end one way, in my opinion.

A bit off topic - To add to that mix, I was doing some work at the old Altoona mercury mine in the Trinity Mtns in northern California about 30 years ago. There was a very large cleared area that serves as a camping/jumping off area for deer hunters. Near the mine entrance there was a very large fire pit surrounded by beer cans, trash, and the occasional shell casing. The fire pit had been built out of large rocks taken from the dump, some of which was ore, and on the inside of pit there was native mercury that had sweated out of the rocks from the heat. The vision in my head of beer, guns, and guys sitting around breathing mercury vapor made me very glad I wasn't there during hunting season.

• Haha 3

I'd be lying if I said I have filled in every hole…there are times I have left them unfilled so I can see where I have been, and then go back and fill them in all at once. There have also been times when I just didn't fill the hole in and I am not proud of it. But, most times I fill them in and always feel better when I do.

Kind of like when you're golfing.  You fill in most of your divots, but sometimes you don't.  Then later you think, really what was the rush.

PS love the Buddha quote.  All time favorite and so true for so many. 

I fill all my holes and some that I didn't dig. Been to spots at gold Basin and found some dry wash holes deeper than I am tall. 

I owe some of my best finds to abandoned detector holes (both in and around) so have mixed feelings!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Some of my best friends leave their holes unfilled.

In fact it's endemic in the mining industry. Basically standard practice for thousands of years.

You would think they would invent a giant boot to scrape their diggings back into their holes.

640px-Sunrise_Dam_Gold_Mine_open_pit_11.

Mirny.png

high-angle-view-of-bingham-canyon-mine-7

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 11:20 AM, Dutchman4 said:

Couldn't agree more.  When I lived in SoCal there were many outdoor target shooting areas on BLM land that were shut down due to huge amounts of trash left behind including old TV's and appliances that were shot up.   

You beat me too it. Around here, Calaveras county, thats the worse. I live next too New Hogan Lake...theres a shooting spot nearby, dudes bring in cars, rvs, hundreds of bottles, etc...looks like a landfill. I love to shoot, but find this disgusting.

• Sad 1