Garrett ATX With 11x13 Mono Coil

HardPack

The Garrett ATX price point keeps bringing me back for another look as opposed to the Minelab SDC and the Axiom. I have been looking at the 11x13 closed mono coil for the edge sensitivity in addition to ground coverage. If I can avoid it, I don’t want to purchased a DD coil plus the 8” mono coil. However, it is not a given that the coil will not be submersed under water. I realize the 10x12 has a center sweet spot that does not fit into tight areas. Has anyone used the Garrett ATX with the 11x13 closed mono coil? How does the 11x13 closed mono compared to the 10x12 opened DD with a full scuff cover plate?

• 1 month later...

On 1/12/2023 at 2:27 PM, HardPack said:

The Garrett ATX price point keeps bringing me back for another look as opposed to the Minelab SDC and the Axiom. I have been looking at the 11x13 closed mono coil for the edge sensitivity in addition to ground coverage. If I can avoid it, I don’t want to purchased a DD coil plus the 8” mono coil. However, it is not a given that the coil will not be submersed under water. I realize the 10x12 has a center sweet spot that does not fit into tight areas. Has anyone used the Garrett ATX with the 11x13 closed mono coil? How does the 11x13 closed mono compared to the 10x12 opened DD with a full scuff cover plate?

Save up and buy the axiom.   ATX is too heavy for all day hunting.  

• Like 1

I owned one for about 6 months and sold it, great electronics, terrible package.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since the mono isn’t stock you’re going to buy it separately and it’s rare to come across one second hand so you will pay full price which is still hovering around $450.

Do yourself a favor, find a used ATX deepseeker kit which will come with both the DD and a large mono. These kits are common on eBay and you can usually get a pretty good deal for a lightly used machine. The big mono isn’t what you are looking for but it will give you an idea of how monos will perform on the ATX without shelling out $450 to try the two smaller size options…..

Or like I and others have advised countless times go and get an Axiom. The Axiom is a direct port of all the impressive capabilities of the ATX, but amped-up in a lighter and sleeker package. I still own my ATX but I refuse to shell out $450 to find out how I like the mono coils when the DD works very well and doesn’t neuter some key functions of the machine. 

Even better, since you only seem to care about hunting with a mono go get the SDC. You will do fine with it, you will enjoy the simplicity.