Equinox 900.. Yes, No Or Maybe?

Eric,  For what you do 900 is more about the physical improvements (CF shaft, better watertight integrity) and literal bells and whistles (Flashlight, vibration) than performance.  There is nothing in performance save for a few mm in depth perhaps when using dP (pitch) audio that would make it perform any better than what you have now.  If Deus 2 fills the performance and dive gaps of the 800 and 800 fills the Deus 2 gaps on dry sand and prospecting, not worth the Xtra dollars for the 900 until you've worn out your 800.  Certainly not worth it to consider the Manticore.  JMO.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

As always, it’s turning out to be a battle between ‘usefulness’ and ‘needfulness’.. Where the question of how useful the thing will be gives way to a need to own the latest model, even if it has no real edge in performance.. Thank you for any guidance you can offer..  

Erik,

This is the eternal question you already know the answer to. A question you have already answered many times, you need only look to your previous satisfaction with how you answered it before.

It is not at all about usefulness or need, only a question of want. Trying to answer want is tough in this situation because more remains to want no matter what you do. The Manticore lies beyond the 900, and it is only a matter of time till the Deus III comes out.

A simplex has a vibrating handle.

Eric,

I've used both the D2 and 900 at the beach. D2 100 hours or so, the 900 about 30 hours. My personal preference is the D2. Your not going to gain anything by getting a 900. As far as raw depth goes, I'd say the D2 has the advantage by about an inch. Target ID is more stable on the D2 as well.

• Like 7

You don't mention a PI detector in your aresenal.  (I don't know the current market on the waterproof versions of those.)  Is there a reason you don't have one already?

• Like 1

Why are you only looking at the Equinox 900?

It seems to me from your detector usage that a 700 would make more sense.

• Like 4

That's true.  I want to get a  900 to replace my ailing 800 but will it help me to find more gold?  Don't think so.  Nice upgrades though--it's what the  NOX should have been to  start with.  I also notice reps referring to the Manticore platform as "A" Multi IQ.  Hope this means there's a difference--but I have not heard anyone raving about it yet.  Can't help thinking that the years of deflections / denials on the NOX's problems have hurt M/L credibitly overall and it will be a while before it returns.  Still have my CTX better the devil you know...

cjc

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You don't mention a PI detector in your aresenal.  (I don't know the current market on the waterproof versions of those.)  Is there a reason you don't have one already?

He used to have a GPX and sold it because Nox was adequate for the gold on Magnetic Island and it brought nothing to the table over and above the Nox he was using beach detecting.  Also, the Pulse Dive he uses for deep dives is a PI based pinpointer but also has larger mono coils that he utilizes.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, abenson said:

Target ID is more stable on the D2 as well.

On my beaches both the Equinox and Deus 2 have the same stability on iffy targets.. Both struggle with identifying smaller deeper targets and jump about without settling on a TID until you've got the target out of the hole.. I think it has more to do with working out a detector's nuances over time than any inherent stability problems of a particular model versus another.. There's so many variables that come into play in the 'wild' that only experience can make sense of what the detector is really telling you.. I've dug targets where the TID and tones were telling me it was another bottle top, but there there was something about the detector's reaction which told me it was a gold ring.. I suppose spending time with an Equinox 900 would achieve the same results, it's just that I've also got a Deus 2 demanding quality time.. It's already jealous of my bromance with the Equinox.. 

• Like 1