Manticore Maiden Voyage

Daniel Tn

Well, that's a good first impression man. Do you think it handles your funky soil better? Or better with EMI? Or just too soon to tell? Looking forward to more of your post, as I think we hunt similar sites. I'm in no hurry for a Manicore at this point, everything is waterlogged here in NoCal at the moment.

• Like 1

thank you Daniel for this feedback, I work hard too and I feared for my Manticore expense. I am both reassured and happy with your results on this type of site, I have the same very searched sites and I know that in depth there are some left. So you and Abenson make me happy.

• Like 3

Daniel,

That's a pretty impressive hunt, given how you described the site and what you'd experienced on the last few trips there...

WOW.

Steve

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deathray said:

Well, that's a good first impression man. Do you think it handles your funky soil better? Or better with EMI? Or just too soon to tell? Looking forward to more of your post, as I think we hunt similar sites. I'm in no hurry for a Manicore at this point, everything is waterlogged here in NoCal at the moment.

Too soon to tell for sure.  I will get a better feel for it when I get some days off to really open it up and go to some different places.  EMI was quiet while swinging the coil but when I would lay the machine down to dig, I could hear it coming from somewhere. Then when I would pick the machine back up to hunt, it would go away. This particular site is in town with underground utilities and the property owner next to it, has one of those underground dog fences.  That fence used to drive our pulse machines crazy when we would hunt there.  I was shocked for sure.  I figured if I found anything at all there, it would probably be with the D2 in the heavy iron and coal cinders/coke.  

I did not dig any iron that fooled me with the Manticore.  I think being familiar with the Equinox helps with that part of it. When playing with a new machine I will intentionally dig some bad one way signals just to see what is in the ground. In all those cases, it was iron. Everything I dug today that was good, gave a good signal all the way...circle around it and get clear repeatable audio and ID.  The minie balls, camp lead, and button were over pinpointer length deep.  This coming week I am going to go back to the drained lake where I've been finding the rings and see how the Manti does there.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Good to hear Daniel. I must say you are one of the very few relic hunters I pay serious attention to. This is because you hunt very difficult ground, and although you hunt relics, and I hunt gold nuggets, our thoughts about detectors often mirror each other due to the ground we both hunt in. So much so that when you say anything is good in your ground, it carries a lot of weight with me as to how it may work out in my own ground. Thanks for the report.

Steve,

I'm flattered to hear that from you...that means a lot coming from someone with your expertise.  Don't get your wallets out just yet...this was just a 1st time out, in a honeymoon phase.  But it certainly caught me off guard.  Me and my hunting buddy was talking about it last night and we think the last time we found any minie balls at that site, was when we hunted it with the GPXs back in the 2016-2018 time frame.  That's about the same time I took a break from serious detecting and got more into fishing.  That would certainly account for the clad finds that I found, as we've had a couple of snows big enough for people to use the hill to sled down since then.  But...that don't account for the minies, camp lead chunks, button, etc.  The last period find I made there was with the D2 in the iron patch and that was a brass buckle.  My D2 came with a 11" coil so I've been wanting to try a smaller coil on it.  Was hoping for a 5x10 elliptical by now but got tired of waiting and bought the 9 inch.  Still haven't tried it yet.  🙃   I have several sites lined up for the Manticore this coming Tuesday.  I'll know more about it at the end of those hunts for sure.  For now...if you are familiar with an Equinox, you'll already have a leg up on the sounds and very similar behaviors.  But...it does seem like they have refined the ID capability in higher mineral dirt and that should open up a whole lot of potential for being able to grab deeper targets in places most other machines are IDing non ferrous things as ferrous.  We'll call this first hunt just a good trip.  If the same thing keeps repeating itself everywhere I take it...then we'll know it's definitely something with the machine.  

One thing I did notice was I was having trouble with precise pinpointing with it. It will take relearning from the Equinox.  Every hole I dug, I would dig in front of where it actually was, if that makes sense. If you look at my picture of the silver ring with it still in the hole, you will see exactly what I mean.  That picture is actually turned sideways...the ring was in the wall of my hole, closest to my feet if I were standing sweeping over it. Picture needs to be rotated 90° clockwise to see it how it actually was.  I wouldn't miss stuff left or right but would overshoot.  By that, the sweet spot of the coil is actually just under or behind where the coil attaches to the lower rod.  On the Equinox, it was just in front of where the lower rod attached.  It's a minor thing I will have to adjust to.  

• Like 8

Impressive first hunt with the Manticore. Best first hunt review I've seen.

I'm still undecided if I want to get a Manticore or D2.

My detectors:

Legend, Xp Orx, AT Gold, Tejon, Garrett 24k, Gold Kruzer

2 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

...If you are familiar with an Equinox, you'll already have a leg up on the sounds and very similar behaviors.  But...it does seem like they have refined the ID capability in higher mineral dirt and that should open up a whole lot of potential for being able to grab deeper targets in places most other machines are IDing non ferrous things as ferrous.

Thanks for your honest report.  What I've quoted is something I'm glad to hear.  And your first hunt was with stock settings -- even better news. 

In my case the ferrous limits part of this new detector is something I expect to take me quite a while (months if not years) to really fine tune.  If the Manticore out-of-the-box will find things that I got the coil over but missed with the Equinox -- that will make the purchase worthwhile for me.  I expect in my case, being more visual than audio atuned (currently), that the 2-d screen with various canned (even default) ferrous limits is going to get my concentrated attention.  Those FBS veterans will likely get through that part quickly (or maybe not...).

• Like 2