Manticore V D I Chart

GB,

This is pretty close to my test, most within a digit or two.  Since its snow covered and cold here, I tested all my coins from colonials through gold.  I tested around 100 different coins with the Manticore in All Terrain High Conductor, just to get a baseline.  My numbers pretty well match Big Sky’s within a digit or two, but a couple were further off.  Im going to end up making a spreadsheet in the next couple days but couple things I found interesting and maybe someone else can verify….

The nickels dated 1866-2006 and the three Gold $1 type coins had nearly identical VDI’s as the Legend on each one, and the Quarter eagles and $3 gold pieces were close to the Legends numbers.  Additionally, the IHP range is quite substantial.  The early 1859-1864 CN fatties ranged from 41-45 and 1864 BR-1909 ranged from 57-70.  

I was interested to see if there were any similarities between the D2 (Deep HC) and the Manticore but the VDI for the different denominations was in most cases within 10, however there were quite a few that differed from 20-30 points.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MFF18B said:

I tested around 100 different coins with the Manticore in All Terrain High Conductor, just to get a baseline.  My numbers pretty well match Big Sky’s within a digit or two, but a couple were further off.

BigSky didn't give his mode and settings (and since he didn't indicate he got these numbers from someone else I've been assuming they are his measurements).  I seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere that the Manticore VDI's can vary a bit depending upon mode used and possibly even settings (such as recovery speed).  I noticed some minor differences with different modes and settings on the Eqx 800 in some controlled test cases.

As always, air tests and in-ground tests can lead to variations in VDI's.  Air tests are a great place to start but fine-tuning one's brain over time with in-ground detecting is valuable, IMO.

• Like 1

GB,

I agree completely, it gave me something to do since I cant get out to play in the dirt and it gives an idea for a starting point.  The ATHC program I used was stock without any changes other than the Sens and turned up the volume a bit.  Your comment about the differences between the modes and VDI’s is interesting and will give me another reason to play with the Manticore this weekend.  

• Like 1

These were measured using All Terrain - General with the default settings. Some of the coins were dug and some were not (no corrosion). This may account for some of the differences. The Indian heads, clad and US silver coins were all dug. The 2-cent piece was undug. The clad was all dug as were the wheat cents. The 1919-S was worn and had the "wood grain toning" that is often seen on the San Francisco mint cents from the teens. The gold coin and nickel 3C VDIs were from Tom D's measurements.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1