Best Way To Sell Jewelry?

If you're sending wild gold to Midwest, ask them if they assay it and what they charge for that--an assay would seem essential to getting the right value. They don't have to do that with marked gold or silver. I've used them for marked jewelry and they're really good. Have some more to send soon.

I've had good luck selling gold fill (GF) on eBay. Midwest doesn't pay much for that.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, YubaJ said:

I've had good luck selling gold fill (GF) on eBay. Midwest doesn't pay much for that.

What is "gold fill"   ???????  Thanks

Gold Fill is a sandwich metal consisting of thin karat gold on the outside and brass in the middle, to look like a karat gold piece of jewelry, so a small percentage of karat gold in the piece. Much cheaper to buy than the real thing, but looks good. If you google it I'm sure there's a better definition. Marked 12KGF, 14KGF, etc.

Does anyone insure their gold when sending to a refinery?

I read in the fine print that USPS will ask for a reciept for items that are lost.  I don’t have a receipt for gold I find.   So I just mail smaller amounts so I don’t loose it all.      I use ARA in Texas faster turn around than Midwest for me.

Be careful sending USPS. I sent El Dorado an ounce of small nuggets to make an exact replica of my platinum band. He sent back the remaining gold and both bands. When they arrived late with the box cut open missing all contents, my claim and 2 appeals were denied. I lost over $4k. This is less than 12 months ago. And the package was insured with USPS.

• Sad 3

On 1/24/2023 at 11:34 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Just received my check from Midwest Refineries.

I mailed them my 10K and 14K scrap gold jewelry finds and my .925 silver scrap jewelry finds for the last 18 months for processing. I removed as many gemstones as I could before mailing. It all fit into a USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate box. I added some extra insurance.

Midwest received and processed it on the same day and I have a check in my hands for $2,400 or so after a one week turnaround. They paid 95% of melt value on the gold and 90% on the silver with no additional fees. Very easy to deal with, no questions asked, just follow their instructions. The amount they sent me is within $200 of my estimate too, so very happy.

Jeff doesn't Midwest return the stones?  I thought they used to 🤔  Always heard positive feedback on Midwest.

25 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Jeff doesn't Midwest return the stones?  I thought they used to 🤔  Always heard positive feedback on Midwest.

Not since I have been using them. Some refineries do but there is a fee for removal. Removing prong held stones is simple. Removing stones in a channel setting is next to impossible with lots of gold loss.  

If a jewelry find obviously has a larger quality diamond or precious gemstone, an appraisal is a good idea.

None of the scrap I sent in had any quality gemstones. 

• Like 2

Channel mounted stones are not held with glue.