Headphones Better Repair?

bklein

I rarely use my Dual Field or Surf PI detectors anymore but it never fails - when I want to the rubber slider thingy's break on the ear cups.  I have bought and installed replacements twice and same deal.  I wonder if someone perhaps has done a 3D printer solution.

• Like 1

3d printed flexible would be TPA. Not sure what your part looks like that keeps breaking but it might be possible to cast a better one out of urethane or silicone.

You have a pic of the broken one?

• Like 1

I have used rubber to cast parts in the past and have found Devcon Flexane products to work well.  The stiffness of the rubber can be varied with the addition of a flexing agent.  The same rubber that is used for the part can also be used for the mold.  Devcon also sells the flexing agent and the mold release.  Here is a link:https://itwperformancepolymers.com/products/devcon/belt-rubber-repair/devcon-flexane-80-liquid/

depending upon your location a local industrial supply house may have these products in stock or can order them for you.

Hope this helps provide an alternative, and best wishes on your repair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Casting parts can be pretty pricey. Process isn't tough but consider platinum silicone for the mold, mold release and the urethane rubber or plastic you can easily drop $100.

Looks like you did a good fix, not pretty but functional and thats what really counts.