Manticore Screen Backlight And Programs

longbow62

So yesterday was really my first day out with the Manticore. The day I got it I charged it up, and messed with it inside and the back yard a little. I'm guessing an hour tops time wise. Friday I detected briefly at a park. Maybe 30 minutes. Yesterday about 4 hours. I have to run the backlight like full blast to see it the way I want to see it. I felt from the initial full charge the battery really went down fast. It looks like a backup battery is going to be necessary.

Also while I was detecting in fairly mild ground yesterday AT General seemed much deeper than AT High Conductors. At least General seemed to alert much better running the same sensitivity.

I also might add running a recovery of 4 seemed to elongate the tones more than a recovery of 4 does on the Nox 800. I have always ran the 800 in 5 tones. With the Manticore I am going to try getting a grip on 50 tones. I don't know if 50 tones is reason for the elongated tones. They just don't seem as sharp as the 800's 5 tones do. It was messing with me quite a bit. I found it kind of annoying in a fairing target rich environment.

Anybody else notice any of the things I've mentioned? 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

I felt from the initial full charge the battery really went down fast. It looks like a backup battery is going to be necessary.

Were you using headphones or the built in speaker?

I think (but not sure) that some lithium batteries don't reach their full charge until after they've been used and recharged a few times.  Possibly you are experiencing this??

I also don't know how much juice the backlight uses.  I would have thought with modern solid state devices that it would be minimal, though.  (I never use mine on the Equinox 800.)

Please keep us updated as your experience increases.

Longest hunt with mine so far is a 3 hour night hunt , using headphones , low screen light .  Very pleased to see the battery level had lowered very little .  Great to be able to drop the the screen light so low . Only a red backlight would have been better .

I didn't even notice my setting because I left it as it was out of the box which was pretty high now that I looked at it. I first looked at the screen at the beach in bright sunlight with my polarized sunglasses on and decided "this ain't gonna work!". So may as well left the sunglasses in the truck. You know how it is when you pump gas or go to an ATM with your sunglasses on. But I wouldn't think the small lcd screen brightness would burn too much battery. On a laptop you burn more battery but the Manticore screen is smaller than cell phone screens. Then again the Manticore battery isn't big in relation to those either.

On mine, I ran with the higher backlight setting for 2 hours or so first hunt and I just checked it and the battery indicator hasn't gone down any. Weird?? I don't know....

17 minutes ago, Yatahaze323 said:

Longbow, looks like you're using AT high conductors in the picture, the manual says that it uses more power and you'll have 1 hour less of detecting time if you're using just that mode. That might also add into the higher battery usage.

That's the program I finished with today. Most of the hunt was AT General. I think where I was today AT High Conductors was the better program. I wish I had been using it all afternoon.

I think you maybe misinterpreting the battery level meter, it's not by any means an accurate display of how much battery life is available, see from the manual

battery.jpg.f521abee6a662f8e62d7b5dfc5bfd226.jpg

• Like 1

That's it ^^^^^^. Not very useful with only 3 different indications. 90% to 7%....really Mine Lab?

That does tell me that the 2 hours I ran didn't bump it lower than 90%. I still had the 100-90 indication. I was using Beach Low Conductors for 1 1/2 hours and All Terrain Low Conductors for a half hour.