800 Choppy And Chatty In Water? Please Help

Gary985112

I think you're both right, but in different ways, in saying that I'm no expert beach hunter by any means.

Black sand in already difficult salty conditions acts a lot like bad ground when prospecting, and it's possible to track out tiny nuggets in bad ground using tracking so I'm sure in salty black sand beach conditions the same goes.   Salt already moves the ground balance up into tiny target territory, add to that black sand and you're pushing it to find the tiny targets in the first place, add in tracking and small targets may go bye bye.

In nice white sand coral beaches I doubt you'd be  tracking out any targets using tracking, unless they were already right on the edge of detection and a tiny target or exceptionally deep for the target type/size, but I guess the old rule goes that you don't know what you're missing so how can you know if you tracked out a target or two every once in a while with your initial sweeps over them being disgusted as a false or something.

Do many beach hunters bother trying to find micro jewellery?

If it's coins and rings you'd far lessen the risk I think unless a really thin ring.

It is possible this difference of opinion is based on a bad ground hunter vs a more mild ground hunter?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Black sand in already difficult salty conditions acts a lot like bad ground when prospecting, and it's possible to track out tiny nuggets in bad ground using tracking so I'm sure in salty black sand beach conditions the same goes. 

I have moderate black sand. Ran 80% of the beach today with sensitivity at 22-23. Two spots I had to drop to 19. 
Now if one charges into that condition like a raging bull there might be a possibility the machine is not caught up. But in reality, who could hunt a spot like that going fast anyway? Surly not anyone looking for performance. 
Today alone, I had two of the tiniest targets. So small I could not even find them after finger sifting for 5 minutes. Just left them. 

My point is: For 4 years I have never "lost" a target I heard originally with the Equinox in tracking.  Now granted, I use a very quality set of headphones with ambient sound control. Does it make a difference? Don't know? 
I just report the facts as I see/hear them as well. I know this was brought up a short time back and I did do a ground grab one day and ran it for a few hours. Frankly, I did not see any change in performance. Conditions include: Wet sand, wet sand water contact, and wave wash. That day I also had a fringe small target found in Tracking. Did a ground grab on it and I had no noticeable difference in target report. 

If I get a ho-hum day, I will try a ground grab again. I will also do one in those nastier black sand concentrations I have.   

• Like 3