Equinox 800 Question About Noise While Moving

Gary985112

27 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

Make sure tracking GB is turned off. My 800 was acting up for months before I noticed that I had left tracking on. Now it runs perfectly quiet.

I always use tracking GB. This from the manual>

Contents

Tracking Ground Balance

When Tracking Ground Balance is active, the detector continuously
adjusts the Ground Balance automatically during detecting. This
ensures that Ground Balance is always set correctly.
Tracking Ground Balance is the default and
recommended method for Gold Mode.
Tracking Ground Balance can also be useful when using Beach
Mode 2 underwater at the beach (in salt water).
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, midalake said:

Contents

Tracking Ground Balance

There seems to be the word "always" in this post. 

I use tracking ground balance when I need to which is very rare. 

Tracking ground balance is a default setting for the gold modes. At least where I do detector gold nugget prospecting, using tracking ground balance is a total nightmare. 

So, I would recommend that any North American based Equinox user think very carefully about "always" using tracking ground balance or 0 for their ground balance setting and instead find out what your ground is telling you and not what the manual (written by people from another planet, oops I mean continent) or what someone else is telling you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, midalake said:

Contents

Tracking Ground Balance

The manual only recommends using Tracking GB in the Gold Modes and Beach Mode 2 in saltwater.  That's because places with gold nuggets are often highly mineralized and saltwater usually has high salt content.

In low to moderate mineralization, all the modes will be quieter without Tracking.

5 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

In low mineralization, all the modes will be quieter without Tracking

If one is using tracking GB on low mineralized ground. How is it possible to make more noise? Is there some youtube vids that show this?  I do not understand. 

7 minutes ago, midalake said:

If one is using tracking GB on low mineralized ground. How is it possible to make more noise? Is there some youtube vids that show this?  I do not understand. 

I don't understand it either, but I've proven it with my machine. Maybe it quiets down in mineralization when the tracking is more active.

In moderate to high mineralization either on dirt or beaches, I have found that automatic ground balance tracking simply can't keep up. I would rather do a ground grab several times during a hunt on changing ground than listen to siren like sounds every time I am unable to execute the perfect swing or when I encounter yet another odd ball hot rock or suddenly hot ground.

I have used auto ground balance tracking at some east coast USA beaches and when using Beach 2 submerged but I performed a ground grab periodically. On some of the west coast USA beaches I have hunted........I turned auto ground balance tracking off pretty soon after trying it....it could not keep up with the changing salinity and magnetite concentrations even using Beach 2.

Just my experiences.

Not issuing an edict here. I'm just hoping people experiment and find out what works for them individually.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

was not impressed at all by how it tracked in bad ground.

47 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

In moderate to high mineralization either on dirt or beaches, I have found that automatic ground balance tracking simply can't keep up

I will admit it has been a long time since I have done ground grab and hunted. Not sure if I will get out tomorrow [flat on my back sick] but next day out will do so. Won't take long for me to tell. 

• Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, midalake said:

I will admit it has been a long time since I have done ground grab and hunted. Not sure if I will get out tomorrow [flat on my back sick] but next day out will do so. Won't take long for me to tell. 

Well remember you are on the beach, and I am in the goldfields. If the ground is mild I don't need tracking, but when I got into bad ground and hot rocks it seemed the tracking would go way off of where it would be if I stayed with manual. I'm not claiming anything definitive, just that in general when it comes to tracking and gold prospecting I prefer manual. The beach could very well be a completely different thing, so always I am a big fan of "whatever works" :smile: There is no black and white it works or it does not. It just depends on where you are, and why it can be turned off or on as desired.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

• Like 3