Equinox 800 Question About Noise While Moving

Gary985112

48 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The beach could very well be a completely different thing,

For me the beach is a bit of a 'different thing' but that depends on the beach and its conditions.

Today I was working a beach that had a black sand line due to the wave action.  The ground would go from mild to strong depending on where you were relative to that black sand/wave energy line.  If you walked parallel to that line then tracking could be useful to keep you in similar sand.  The best targets for me are often on the dry side of the line.  If you work the beach at a perpendicular to the beach line (walk up and down or zig zag) it often times will not keep up and you go manual to get the targets without them being masked.

The best remedy for some beaches like this is not necessarily the direction you work it but the speed you work it.  Slower is better with overlapping swings if you are getting any targets of value or picking up clues.

• Like 3

Tracking for me is usually a last ditch effort when I’m having to re ground balance every  5 minutes when in manual...I do find myself using it more at the beach when in black sand that changes in density frequently and moving in and out of the salt water. Nothing works well in those conditions so I just throw it in tracking and as long as I’m finding deep targets  it’s working adequately enough for me. 

Strick

• Like 4

What GB or IB settings you use is variable according to what the site requires.

More important IMO is knowing what GB or IB does and how different settings change that.

Now which setting will melt the ice ??????? 

I need to GB and IB  my car if there is one........😢

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

What GB or IB settings you use is variable according to what the site requires.

More important IMO is knowing what GB or IB does and how different settings change that.

Now which setting will melt the ice ??????? 

I need to GB and IB  my car if there is one........😢

Does IB stand for Iron Bias?   

To me, Iron Bias is more a personal preference than a site requirement.

40 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

To me, Iron Bias is more a personal preference than a site requirement.

I can see your point but I've also become a 'fan' of using it where I was not for many years.  I was a '0' guy, always! 

I'm sure there is a certain amount of depth loss with high amounts of it on, but it can make good targets stand out too.  If you don't have deep targets at your beach, then it can be a treat.

Heya Badger ! Anything diggable uptah your neck of the woods ? Been pretty mild here but the ground is solid ,,,except for Saturday when it hit 52* but Sunday morning  was like a rock..and I don't mean Bob Seeger .

Yeah , I added that IB in after I wrote the GB part , Thought it should be in the understand what it does before adjusting category. 

I guess that can be said about altering any setting though ...

I've been detecting in the IB zero camp for a while but have been trying different amounts to get a feel for it's use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I'm sure there is a certain amount of depth loss with high amounts of it on, but it can make good targets stand out too.  If you don't have deep targets at your beach, then it can be a treat.

My second season on the Equinox I hunted in beach 2 horseshoe on, Recovery 6 IB 6. Every fringe target I had the entire season was compared to R-4 IB-4. Of the handful of targets, I changed my mind to dig NONE of them were of any worth.  Your spot may differ.......

14 hours ago, midalake said:

I will admit it has been a long time since I have done ground grab and hunted. Not sure if I will get out tomorrow [flat on my back sick] but next day out will do so. Won't take long for me to tell. 

Does ground grab mean "auto ground balancing"? like does that mean to hold the accept/reject button and move your coil? After doing this, do you still need to put it in tracking ground balance mode too on top of that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gary985112 said:

Maybe I could lower sensitivity next time at 4 and give it a shot. 

Sensitivity rules on the Equinox. Anything I can do to keep my Sensitivity at 20 or above is important. I would not run IB or Recovery above 6 though no matter what.