Do I Trust My Manticore In The Water?

phrunt

So I now finally have a Manticore, I'm up to the beach hunting part of my holiday and was intending to take it for a soak pretty quickly after getting it, but looking at the thing it really looks like it might fail in the water, the seal looks like it was done by a 2 year old.

IMG_0351.jpg.7c161e42498e57602880c8b2c919bdee.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg.80ac9b57ad69904dd46a4398e6a4bd5c.jpg

Is this how they all look? Looks pretty shonky to me.

On the plus side for those of us that bought the Nugget Finder solid Skid plate for their Equinox for prospecting or whatever they'll be pleased to know it also fits the Manticore's 11" coil perfectly.

IMG_0353.jpg.175d527fcb0f8729260048d824261d59.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Oh my! 1

If that was me Phrunt I would be sending those photos to  the Minelab repair center, let them decide if the standard of workmanship is acceptable.

• Like 4

Yea, seems pretty dodgy, but based off the photos of the other ones in that thread Chase posted it must be normal.  Doesn't look too crash hot though.  I would say you get what you pay for but it's one of the most expensive VLF detectors on the market 🙂

• Like 1

There was someone on facebook that posted an image similar to yours. Mine is cleaner then that for sure...but not knowing how they are actually sealed to be made water proof it's hard to say if there is too much silicone or too little on there if you get what I mean? You got 3 years. 

strick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Yea, seems pretty dodgy, but based off the photos of the other ones in that thread Chase posted it must be normal.  Doesn't look too crash hot though.  I would say you get what you pay for but it's one of the most expensive VLF detectors on the market 🙂

My smart phone is sealed better than that, I do not think its acceptable, still worth sending photos though IMO just to see what the response is. Your not impressed so for your own piece of mind.

• Like 1

Yea I'll probably check with them and see that it is fine, it looks like too much was applied and it came out the sides and they've cut it off, it's probably completely normal, just looks messy.

Looks pretty piss poor to me. Best of luck everyone.

• Like 3

If they are using silicone in order to achieve a depth rating of 5 metres then Minelab repair centres are in for a workout. Surely there must be a decent gasket or “O ring” in there somewhere……silicone has no purpose being anywhere near a 5m rated machine…….leave the stuff for the bathroom. Are Minelab completely clueless 🤬

Remember the days when Minelab took pride in the quality of their machines……now they look like hack jobs.