Should I Restrict The Ability For New Members To Personal Message?

No Issues from me as well with regards to PM but if i can make a suggestion - on another forum i get a email everyday letting me know yesterdays forum activity which i find useful as sometimes on DP i miss a new topic that is of interest to me and stumble across it a few weeks later. I don't think you have that function now ( or something similar) - please let me know if you do. Otherwise a great place to share quality information about all things detecting.

• Like 1

No problems for me on here, as you have always ran a great forum and people look out for each other on here.

• Like 2

I have had no issues on my end either, but I will say if you think it could prevent the spammers from getting in you have to do what you do Mr Hershbach to protect your site

• Like 3

I guess the only time it really matters is if you have something in the classifieds.  I don't like selling to someone that isn't part of the treasure hunting community, if not here then somewhere else where i can see their reputation, not necessarily as a buyer but how they interact on their home forum(s).   Most of my metal detectors were bought and sold on the used market during my buy and try days and I backed out of some deals just because I either couldn't verify who they were or they didn't seem right to me during the communication.   

But then again.  If someone is just joining to buy.....you would want to sense of who they are and the best way to do that is reading their posts.  

So I'm 60/40 about it.   I think I would prefer a post limit to PM vs being wide open.

My nickel.   I enjoy your forum, Steve and visit most every day, although I don't log into it every day.

HH

Mike

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 10:11 PM, VicR said:

No Issues from me as well with regards to PM but if i can make a suggestion - on another forum i get a email everyday letting me know yesterdays forum activity which i find useful as sometimes on DP i miss a new topic that is of interest to me and stumble across it a few weeks later. I don't think you have that function now ( or something similar) - please let me know if you do. Otherwise a great place to share quality information about all things detecting.

You can create your own feeds or “activity streams” based on your own custom desires. You might have to fiddle with it but can’t hurt anything just trying stuff to see what works. Look in the menu up top on large screen device, or on upper right in small screens, under Activity & Help.

DE5C5AD2-C108-4775-A2E9-A38FE1203EA2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No problems here so far. Well done Steve!

• Thanks 1

when I sell something  or purchase something used from someone I like to have a phone conversation and sometimes a few phone conversations, if a person is unwilling to give their phone number then I pretty much know they are trying to scam me and I then stop all communication with that person, communication is everything to me and if a person is unwilling to communicate then most likely they are trying to scam you.

• Like 5

Steve,

I only had this issue once several years ago.  I was looking to buy an older detector for an article I was writing and a new member PM'd me that he had one for sale.  It only took a couple of questions to determine it was a scam.   Other than that one time no issues.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked