Hydro-shocking Gold/quartz Specimens

I just uploaded a video detailing Hydro-Shocking the gold/quartz specimen from my last video. If you have any questions either drop them here or on the comments in the video and I will answer them. The next video will be showcasing the specimen after Hydro-Shocking and conducting a continuity test on the specimen to determine what visible gold is connected throughout the specimen.

• Like 7

I tried hydro-shocking some gold in quartz last summer after reading about in your book and was very pleased with how it worked. The gold had to be connected or you get a lot of little bits but it worked well. thanks for the tip

• Like 2

I have one nugget that I’d like to remove some dirty quartz so I shall give this a try.

It may go from a ugly duckling to a beautiful nugget.

Thanks for the video.

Don’t you just love show and tell !?

Chuck 

Why not give it a go Chuck! You will know at what point to leave it alone. Just remember one thing with it. Less is more. It is easy to take it too far. No going backwards with it. Lol. 

• Like 1

Goldseeker 5000

I hear you loud and clear so I’ll go slow. It’s like cutting a board in cut a little each time is better than too much .

Thanks again.

Chuck 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a word of caution ⚠️ Use eye protection!

I tried doing this back in the 90s and had some literally explode after putting the torch to it and before dunking it.  I don’t know if it was moisture or just air pockets but it was like a miniature grenade going off. 
 I even lost some gold doing this.

• Like 4

Tom, I had the same thing happen to me several years ago. It exploded and I caught shrapnel of rock on my upper cheek bone, very near my eye. I think it was because there was Pritchard mud stone encasing the nugget. It might react differently than quartz. I've had small shards fly off specimens, but not like the Pritchard rock with the nugget inside. Infact that very nugget is in my nugget raffle to be given away when my book is purchased. Taking place at this very time. 

• Like 1