Manticore At The Beach

strick

Yep Manticore really shines at the beach, had mine out 3 times to the beach now. I'm running my sensitivity at about 22 most of the time. Agree about those deep targets disappearing after the first scoop. Just keep digging and eventually the target ends up in the pile.

• Like 2

Wow! Nice run strick, glad you got some gold. Looks like you're getting in stride with that detector! 👍

And ya always find something cool to take a photo of. 😎

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, strick said:

The manticore ID's these targets correctly and with a faint whisper but then after the first scoop or two the target may entirely disappear...never fear it's still down there just keep scooping till it's out.

19 minutes ago, abenson said:

Agree about those deep targets disappearing after the first scoop. Just keep digging and eventually the target ends up in the pile.

That is one thing I hate with the Equinox too. The D2 and Tarsacci do not do this.

Really makes target recovery in the active wave wash a PIA.  Def a Minelab thing. 

• Like 2

Great trip, good haul and tips.

RE: Pinpointing, can you pinpoint with just the coil like I do with the 800? If so where is the ‘sweet spot’ on the coil to let you know you are over the target?

Or do you use the Manticore pinpoint function?

Congrats and thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloridaSon said:

RE: Pinpointing, can you pinpoint with just the coil like I do with the 800? If so where is the ‘sweet spot’ on the coil to let you know you are over the target?

Congrats and thanks

I've only been one short trip with mine and I pinpointed dead center of coil with some success because that's what I do with my cz-21. Not sure if that is the sweet spot, but it worked for me and my shovel. I didn't use the pinpoint function.

• Like 3

Great finds for only a couple trips and even nicer with the gold.

I have not had too much experience beach detecting as with nugget hunting. Interesting what you said about the target disappearing after the first scoop. Looking back I had this happen a few times now and gave up on the target figuring the detector ignored it for iron once some sand was removed. I'll remember this for next time. Thanks for sharing the info.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

Congrats and thanks

Edited: I did not use the pin point once on the beach...it's funny you ask the question because I've had the machine for over a month and dug many 100's of targets with it and cant remember exactly.....in the beginning I did use the pin point when turf hunting a lot but not  much anymore.... from memory the hot spot seems to be just forward of the shaft a bit.

strick

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, matt said:

Great finds for only a couple trips and even nicer with the gold.

I have not had too much experience beach detecting as with nugget hunting. Interesting what you said about the target disappearing after the first scoop. Looking back I had this happen a few times now and gave up on the target figuring the detector ignored it for iron once some sand was removed. I'll remember this for next time. Thanks for sharing the info.

As mentioned it happens with the nox as well. It's and interesting thing maybe the target is sinking or the orientation is disturbed...I don't think there is a halo because stuff gets moved around on the beach...maybe some "beach expert" can educate us on how this happens...

strick

• Like 1