Manticore At The Beach

strick

16 hours ago, midalake said:

Open the hole and it fills with water. For some reason Minelabs hate this. All is well until that hole fills with water. Whether you moved the target or not.  

I haven't related this to water as much as the 'sides' of the hole seem to defeat the target.  It has become rather annoying actually and I was hoping the Mcore would not be susceptible to this quirk.

It is interesting to contemplate that a Minelab is more prone to this type of behavior than other VLFs.  Something in their signal sauce that gets neutralized?

• Like 3

On 1/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, strick said:

The manticore ID's these targets correctly and with a faint whisper but then after the first scoop or two the target may entirely disappear...never fear it's still down there just keep scooping till it's out.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:51 PM, abenson said:

Agree about those deep targets disappearing after the first scoop. Just keep digging and eventually the target ends up in the pile.

That is one thing I hate with the Equinox too. The D2 and Tarsacci do not do this.

Really makes target recovery in the active wave wash a PIA.  Def a Minelab thing. 

Thanks for the feedback guys! FWIW, I just hunted a few black sand beaches since January 1st, mostly with my pulse detectors, and I saw the same thing. Not only would the target disappear from the hole, but the pile of accumulated black sand that I would dump to the side of the hole with my scoop would now give a false signal making it sound like the target had moved. I can't believe that I had never noticed this before and I can only imagine how confusing this would be to someone new to beach detecting.

Nice to hear that the Manticore seems to be able to not only handle the black sand but also produce accurate TID's in the black sand as well. I don't think that the same can be said about the Nox 800, at least from my limited experience with it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Compass said:
  On 1/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, strick said:

The manticore ID's these targets correctly and with a faint whisper but then after the first scoop or two the target may entirely disappear...never fear it's still down there just keep scooping till it's out.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:51 PM, abenson said:

Agree about those deep targets disappearing after the first scoop. Just keep digging and eventually the target ends up in the pile.

That is one thing I hate with the Equinox too. The D2 and Tarsacci do not do this.

Really makes target recovery in the active wave wash a PIA.  Def a Minelab thing. 

Thanks for the feedback guys! FWIW, I just hunted a few black sand beaches since January 1st, mostly with my pulse detectors, and I saw the same thing. Not only would the target disappear from the hole, but the pile of accumulated black sand that I would dump to the side of the hole with my scoop would now give a false signal making it sound like the target had moved. I can't believe that I had never noticed this before and I can only imagine how confusing this would be to someone new to beach detecting.

Nice to hear that the Manticore seems to be able to not only handle the black sand but also produce accurate TID's in the black sand as well. I don't think that the same can be said about the Nox 800, at least from my limited experience with it.

1 thing I have noticed over the years is not all blacksand is created equal. They could even look exactly the same but have a higher mineralized content. If receiving a solid small signal , it should be the same out of the hole. But not always ,  primarily due to target position. This rarely ever happens in clean sand , only the heavy black. Quite often the target is lost in the pile you just dug , lost in the high point being masked. Admittedly I've walked away from a few like this. Always kick and flatten down the piles for easier detection. Specifically looking for the gold against the black background ! Another secret : don't be afraid to go back over piles that others have abandoned. You may find a surprise !

• Like 4

Just like gold hunting, sometimes you have to walk away and let the detector balance out again and then go back to your pile/hole for a new look.

I'll have to admit tho ... I've lost a few targets completely and in the interest of time I move on.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Just like gold hunting, sometimes you have to walk away and let the detector balance out again and then go back to your pile/hole for a new look.

There is fact to your thinking. Sometimes I back out of a difficult target [like in the wave wash] let the Equinox settle down. Do a noise cancel and then reengage the target.  

• Like 1

Today while detecting and finding I checked my settings on my 800/15 and they were off a bit for me in Beach 1/23.  I had factory reset one day last week and left the volumes alone.  This is not where I keep them.  I increase the iron volume from 4 to 10.

This louder volume seems to set the table for my ears, and I think the detector so that I lost fewer targets in the hole.  To me it lets the target have a voice after the initial scrapes.  I'm one of the few guys who still uses a 'pull digger' as opposed to a step basket with carbon fiber handle.  When I scrape down to a deep target, I sometimes try to save energy and make a narrow hole or get the target in just a couple of scoops.

Deep target beaches alter my digging and I have to make more scrapes and a bigger hole in order to pinpoint the target under the Minelab logo at the top/front of the coil.  That focus on the label when hearing the sound saves me from using the pinpoint button.

The change helped me find a couple of good targets today!

• Like 4

On 1/16/2023 at 10:14 PM, midalake said:

I would  say this indicates a machine that performs bettter in-ground.

cjc