Impulse AQ With Minelab Gpx Searchcoil

Well, I asked Alexandre and he says it could fry the circuit board to try GPX or TDI coils. I haven’t heard of this before as with a PI there are inherently high voltages involved that the design needs to tolerate. For sure there are several things an experimenter could do to cause damage - like misconnect it, have drastically different winding characteristics, or connect it with power on. I will eventually try my tdi beach hog coil - it works great on my GP Extreme and I hope on the AQ. I don’t have any interest in any of the other GP coils really.  

I have discussed this topic before. Eric installed 7 different coils he had available without any issues. If the resistance is 3 ohms or close it will work. There is nothing special about the stock AQ coil. The issue you will have more than likely is the coax cable. He did determine that a mini coax is needed to prevent detection by the coil. The Belden cable used is critical. The AQ cable is a mini dual cable but only one coax is used. Alexandre had another detector design he was working on “ bi polar “ hence the dual mini coax.

• Like 2

That original coil Sorieu connector is strange. I was looking at it to investigate the loose pins but couldn’t figure it out so I left it intact. I am not sure if I will succeed connecting a cable to one for an adapter - might need a special insertion tool etc.  Have you tried?

9 hours ago, bklein said:

How did you get it open? Mine was not separating

I have repaired and or replaced a half dozen Souriau connectors where people did not know how to properly dismantle the connector. They all did the same thing. Twisted the wire at the pins and broke or shorted out the wire. You must leave the connector connected to the female (AQ). First remove the small end of connector ( counter clockwise ) which seals the connector with a rubber grommet. Slide both up the cable a bit. Then you can safely unscrew the second section safely ( again counter clockwise ) which exposes the wire and pins. Failing to loosen and remove the sealing grommet first will twist the cable at the pins and break or short out the wire. Then you can remove the connector from the machine.

• Like 3