A Tale Of Gold, Greed, And Outlaws

Basic business accounting would show guilt or innocence. Why didn't he just stay put and open his account ledgers for investors to see?

I have seen insignificant amounts of gold and unmined inferred gold destroy partnerships, family ties, and friendships. I am very thankfull that  my mining associates tolerate all me as well as they do.

• 1 year later...

Well that`s a story that illustrates the old saying "Gold brings out the best in mans ingenuity, the worst in his nature"

Also that specimen has got to rank amongst the most beautiful for sure.

If you have not read 'Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea" you are missing an unforgettable read that plays out like the best dramas only it's real life. It is the story of the men who decided to go after the Central America, how they did it and what happened when they found it.

It's rivieting and almost unbelievable, but true.

Flakmagnet,

Thanks for the Title, I just ordered the book on Amazon

should be great reading in the evenings. Gold does something to people, something bad. Rich ore, nuggets, gold coins and treasure in considerable amounts have precipitated wars, murder and sudden death for hundreds of years, it's no surprise it continues today. I Am sure some of us have seen friends go against friends, wife against husband..lol :blink:...over even smaller amounts!! 

AuWanderer and others who are interested.

I would like to add that this story is not only about the "lure" of gold. It is about some absolutely brilliant research methods that were developed - methods that were almost immediately adopted by most salvage operations once they became known. There was a fascinating blend of scientific rigor and intuitive leaps that these kinds of searches inevitably involve…it's just that this one had illuminating examples of both. 

That, for me, was what was fascinating. I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts about those aspects of what this group accomplished.

The legal issues that arose in the aftermath of the discovery are eye-popping even as they are predictable.

It is a special book for many reasons - many of them are not apparent until you delve into the story.

Have a good read.

• Like 2